Car catches fire in Welwyn Garden City
A CAR caught fire in a public footpath in WGC this afternoon (Friday).
The blaze started at 3.15pm, in a footpath joining Handside Lane and The Old Drive.
Firefighters from WGC used hose reels to put out the fire, which was “well alight” by the time the crew arrived.
Brian Welsh, crew commander of White Watch, which dealt with the blaze, said smoke could be seen from Stanborough Road on the approach to the scene.
“At first, we couldn’t see down the footpath because of the smoke. We didn’t know whether it was a garage on fire or a car,” he said.
You may also want to watch:
Eventually, the fire was put out. The car, a Fiat, was gutted.
A Handside Lane resident said: “I was in my house when I heard this huge explosion.
- 1 Dangerous Welwyn Garden City domestic abuser who slashed ex-girlfriend's throat jailed
- 2 Safety check and risk assessment failings for hundreds of Welwyn Hatfield council houses
- 3 When is Team GB cycling star Laura Kenny in action at Tokyo 2020 Olympics?
- 4 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 5 9 things you didn’t know about the making of Band of Brothers
- 6 Community reacts to closure of overnight Urgent Care Centre service at New QEII Hospital
- 7 Water safety advice issued following lake drowning
- 8 New report reveals 28 Covid deaths at Hatfield care home
- 9 Henry Moore Foundation in Hertfordshire appears in new Fake or Fortune? series on BBC One
- 10 Man drowns in Stanborough Lakes
“I have to say the fire brigade got here very quickly as they were already at the scene when I got outside.
“There was a big cloud of black smoke and it looked a bit like the Buncefield fire of a few years back.”