Car catches fire in Welwyn Garden City
A CAR caught fire in a public footpath in WGC this afternoon (Friday).
The blaze started at 3.15pm, in a footpath joining Handside Lane and The Old Drive.
Firefighters from WGC used hose reels to put out the fire, which was “well alight” by the time the crew arrived.
Brian Welsh, crew commander of White Watch, which dealt with the blaze, said smoke could be seen from Stanborough Road on the approach to the scene.
“At first, we couldn’t see down the footpath because of the smoke. We didn’t know whether it was a garage on fire or a car,” he said.
You may also want to watch:
Eventually, the fire was put out. The car, a Fiat, was gutted.
A Handside Lane resident said: “I was in my house when I heard this huge explosion.
- 1 Upgrades to key shopping street will leave town 'well-placed' for future
- 2 Icy weather continues to suspend bin collections
- 3 More than 15 social housing homes open at £6.7 million development
- 4 'We need to be heard and treated fairly' – dog groomers demand after not receiving COVID grant
- 5 Police disperse large group near the university
- 6 Herts COVID-19 fatalities surge as UK death toll surpasses major milestone
- 7 New welcome signs arrive at railway station
- 8 Police warn FIFA Tournament 'not a reason to break the current COVID rules' and issue fines
- 9 Care home 'delighted' with COVID-19 vaccine rollout
- 10 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
“I have to say the fire brigade got here very quickly as they were already at the scene when I got outside.
“There was a big cloud of black smoke and it looked a bit like the Buncefield fire of a few years back.”