Car blaze on A1(M)
POLICE have launched an enquiry after motorists drove the wrong way up a hard shoulder and slip road after an accident on the A1(M). It happened after a yellow VW Beetle caught fire at junction six, near Welwyn, on Saturday.
POLICE have launched an enquiry after motorists drove the wrong way up a hard shoulder and slip road after an accident on the A1(M).
It happened after a yellow VW Beetle caught fire at junction six, near Welwyn, on Saturday.
No one was injured in the accident at 12.50pm on the northbound carriageway, including the driver of the Beetle, a woman from Brighton.
However, it caused tailbacks of around five miles, and impatient drivers tried various ways to get off the motorway.
You may also want to watch:
At least 20 motorists drove the wrong way on the hard shoulder or reversed back to get off at junction six at The Clock roundabout.
Roads policing sergeant Neil Emmerson is investigating and said: "If a collision had happened as a result of these actions, the drivers could be summonsed for driving without due care and attention or even an offence of dangerous driving.
- 1 Full list of Welwyn Hatfield results for Local Elections 2021
- 2 Fence that blocked public path now removed
- 3 Billy Joe Saunders v Saul Canelo Alvarez - as it happened
- 4 5 venues and leisure attractions that can reopen from Monday, May 17
- 5 Four councillors elected to South Mimms Parish Council
- 6 Teenager arrested following pub break in
- 7 Have you seen this wanted man?
- 8 Man found with head injuries following assault
- 9 Woman injured after attack by out of control dog
- 10 COVID deaths at Lister pass grim milestone
"Over 20 number plates of cars who attempted this dangerous manoeuvre were collected and police enquiries are ongoing.