Car blaze on A1(M)
POLICE have launched an enquiry after motorists drove the wrong way up a hard shoulder and slip road after an accident on the A1(M). It happened after a yellow VW Beetle caught fire at junction six, near Welwyn, on Saturday.
POLICE have launched an enquiry after motorists drove the wrong way up a hard shoulder and slip road after an accident on the A1(M).
It happened after a yellow VW Beetle caught fire at junction six, near Welwyn, on Saturday.
No one was injured in the accident at 12.50pm on the northbound carriageway, including the driver of the Beetle, a woman from Brighton.
However, it caused tailbacks of around five miles, and impatient drivers tried various ways to get off the motorway.
You may also want to watch:
At least 20 motorists drove the wrong way on the hard shoulder or reversed back to get off at junction six at The Clock roundabout.
Roads policing sergeant Neil Emmerson is investigating and said: "If a collision had happened as a result of these actions, the drivers could be summonsed for driving without due care and attention or even an offence of dangerous driving.
- 1 Upgrades to key shopping street will leave town 'well-placed' for future
- 2 Post delayed due to staff self-isolating at Royal Mail
- 3 Icy weather continues to suspend bin collections
- 4 Three taken to hospital following 'head-on' collision
- 5 Isabel Hospice closed to new admissions due to staff sickness
- 6 Police disperse large group near the university
- 7 Armed police, helicopter and dogs search village after injured man taken to hospital
- 8 More than 15 social housing homes open at £6.7 million development
- 9 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 10 COVID-19: Cases fall by hundreds but still above national average
"Over 20 number plates of cars who attempted this dangerous manoeuvre were collected and police enquiries are ongoing.