Campaigner speaks out against plans for incinerator in Hatfield
AN anti-incinerator campaigner has spoken out after Herts county council was given �115m government cash to build the facility. Welwyn Hatfield Lib Dem
AN anti-incinerator campaigner has spoken out after Herts county council was given �115m government cash to build the facility.
Welwyn Hatfield Lib Dem parliamentary candidate Paul Zukowskyj has been a vociferous opponent of council plans to build an incinerator at New Barnfield, in Travellers Lane, Hatfield.
He believes there are other, more suitable locations for the facility, and told the WHT: "Of the sites that were presented, it is the wrong choice."
As for the bidding process, which is set to start next month, he said: "I hope the county council will be receptive of all the alternative sites that are put forward."
You may also want to watch:
Mr Zukowskyj also thinks an incinerator is the "wrong choice" in how to dispose of Hertfordshire's waste.
"We do have to do something about landfill - it can't go on like it is at the moment, but there are better methods than incineration," he said.
- 1 When Spielberg and Tom Hanks came to Hatfield for filming
- 2 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 3 Exploring the challenges of being furloughed during lockdown
- 4 Charity's face mask exempt cards sold at an inflated price on Facebook
- 5 'Heavy snow' expected across Hertfordshire from tomorrow
- 6 Is lockdown working in Herts? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 7 Graduate to create original African sci-fi series for Disney+
- 8 Closing the New QEII at night permanently still to be considered
- 9 Who is Lady Danbury in new Netflix series Bridgerton?
- 10 Head of planning to leave for county council role
"The bio-digestion approach is one that is favoured by green organisations and activists."
Mr Zukowskyj urged residents to sign a Lib Dem petition against the incinerator, which asks the county council to "reconsider the location of the facility".
It can be found at www.campaigns.libdems.org.uk/NewBarnfield