Campaigner speaks out against plans for incinerator in Hatfield
AN anti-incinerator campaigner has spoken out after Herts county council was given �115m government cash to build the facility. Welwyn Hatfield Lib Dem
AN anti-incinerator campaigner has spoken out after Herts county council was given �115m government cash to build the facility.
Welwyn Hatfield Lib Dem parliamentary candidate Paul Zukowskyj has been a vociferous opponent of council plans to build an incinerator at New Barnfield, in Travellers Lane, Hatfield.
He believes there are other, more suitable locations for the facility, and told the WHT: "Of the sites that were presented, it is the wrong choice."
As for the bidding process, which is set to start next month, he said: "I hope the county council will be receptive of all the alternative sites that are put forward."
Mr Zukowskyj also thinks an incinerator is the "wrong choice" in how to dispose of Hertfordshire's waste.
"We do have to do something about landfill - it can't go on like it is at the moment, but there are better methods than incineration," he said.
- 1 Shoppers predict ‘demise’ of Welwyn Garden City town centre after store closures announced
- 2 Marks & Spencer confirm Welwyn Garden City store closure
- 3 Council fights for lower housing targets
- 4 Next to close Welwyn Garden City store this week
- 5 Outdoor gym opens in Hatfield
- 6 Purse stolen in Hatfield
- 7 Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat finally comes to Potters Bar's Wyllyotts Theatre
- 8 ‘Please do not vote to damage Welwyn irreparably’
- 9 Three bulldogs rescued from fire by passersby
- 10 £45m bid to improve QEII Hospital
"The bio-digestion approach is one that is favoured by green organisations and activists."
Mr Zukowskyj urged residents to sign a Lib Dem petition against the incinerator, which asks the county council to "reconsider the location of the facility".
It can be found at www.campaigns.libdems.org.uk/NewBarnfield