Campaigner speaks out against plans for incinerator in Hatfield
AN anti-incinerator campaigner has spoken out after Herts county council was given �115m government cash to build the facility. Welwyn Hatfield Lib Dem
AN anti-incinerator campaigner has spoken out after Herts county council was given �115m government cash to build the facility.
Welwyn Hatfield Lib Dem parliamentary candidate Paul Zukowskyj has been a vociferous opponent of council plans to build an incinerator at New Barnfield, in Travellers Lane, Hatfield.
He believes there are other, more suitable locations for the facility, and told the WHT: "Of the sites that were presented, it is the wrong choice."
As for the bidding process, which is set to start next month, he said: "I hope the county council will be receptive of all the alternative sites that are put forward."
You may also want to watch:
Mr Zukowskyj also thinks an incinerator is the "wrong choice" in how to dispose of Hertfordshire's waste.
"We do have to do something about landfill - it can't go on like it is at the moment, but there are better methods than incineration," he said.
- 1 Planning application submitted for 173-space car park and mobile café at park
- 2 Preparation works under way for Stonehills revamp
- 3 Man suffers fractured skull and bleed on the brain after pub assault
- 4 What to do if you see these hazardous caterpillars in a park
- 5 Mum's proud of soldier son's guard of honour role at Prince Philip's funeral
- 6 Delight for performing arts school as song hits number one in iTunes classical charts
- 7 'These heroes deserve a proper pay rise' - Demonstration of support for NHS workers to be held outside New QEII
- 8 Volunteering is the name of the game at Panshanger Park
- 9 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 10 Pregnant woman jailed for more than two years for killing cyclist
"The bio-digestion approach is one that is favoured by green organisations and activists."
Mr Zukowskyj urged residents to sign a Lib Dem petition against the incinerator, which asks the county council to "reconsider the location of the facility".
It can be found at www.campaigns.libdems.org.uk/NewBarnfield