Bank becomes latest to be lost from town centre
- Credit: Alan Davies
HSBC will close its Hatfield branch along, with 81 other locations between April and September.
Our town centre has been particularly hit by the pandemic with New Look, Peacocks, the Card Factory, Barnados and others moving away from in-person retail.
Jackie Uhi, HSBC UK's head of network, said: "The COVID-19 pandemic has emphasised the need for the changes that we are making.
"It hasn't pushed us in a different direction but reinforces the things that we were focusing on before and has crystallised our thinking. This is a strategic direction that we need to take to have a branch network fit for the future."
The HSBC Hatfield bank will close in July, meaning customers will need to go to Welwyn Garden City for their banking needs, or do so online.
You may also want to watch:
There will still be other banks available such as Halifax, Santander, Lloyds and Barclays in the town centre.
HSBC has maintained that all those 82 banks up for closure are within one mile of a Post Office.
- 1 Man in his 40s dies after crash between bus and car
- 2 'Cruel joke' played on residents waiting for pothole repairs
- 3 Man creates penis shapes with his running routes to raise money for testicular cancer
- 4 Man faces sentencing after trying to rip face mask off woman in Asda
- 5 How many people have been vaccinated in your neighbourhood?
- 6 Police pinpoint football clubs after teenagers caught throwing eggs
- 7 Competition winner captures town's untouched beauty spot
- 8 Teachers surprised by pupils thanking them for hard work
- 9 Pay-as-you-feel hub set up for food destined for landfill
- 10 Police called after 100 people show up to funeral
Thankfully, Hatfield town centre recently got a new temporary location for its Post Office near the library.