Bank becomes latest to be lost from town centre
- Credit: Alan Davies
HSBC will close its Hatfield branch along, with 81 other locations between April and September.
Our town centre has been particularly hit by the pandemic with New Look, Peacocks, the Card Factory, Barnados and others moving away from in-person retail.
Jackie Uhi, HSBC UK's head of network, said: "The COVID-19 pandemic has emphasised the need for the changes that we are making.
"It hasn't pushed us in a different direction but reinforces the things that we were focusing on before and has crystallised our thinking. This is a strategic direction that we need to take to have a branch network fit for the future."
The HSBC Hatfield bank will close in July, meaning customers will need to go to Welwyn Garden City for their banking needs, or do so online.
You may also want to watch:
There will still be other banks available such as Halifax, Santander, Lloyds and Barclays in the town centre.
HSBC has maintained that all those 82 banks up for closure are within one mile of a Post Office.
- 1 'Fantastic to meet everybody' - New White Horse pub manager looking forward to letting more people in on May 17
- 2 'Through the worst of it' - Funeral director looking forward to return to normality after busiest months of his 25 year career
- 3 Full list of Welwyn Hatfield results for Local Elections 2021
- 4 'Time to deliver' - Councillors react to the May 6 local elections results
- 5 Symbolic centenary torch created by student to be stored in museum
- 6 Have you seen this missing teenager from Knebworth?
- 7 Fence that blocked public path now removed
- 8 County council elections round-up for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 9 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 10 Richard Roberts set to become leader of Herts County Council
Thankfully, Hatfield town centre recently got a new temporary location for its Post Office near the library.