Bank becomes latest to be lost from town centre
- Credit: Alan Davies
HSBC will close its Hatfield branch along, with 81 other locations between April and September.
Our town centre has been particularly hit by the pandemic with New Look, Peacocks, the Card Factory, Barnados and others moving away from in-person retail.
Jackie Uhi, HSBC UK's head of network, said: "The COVID-19 pandemic has emphasised the need for the changes that we are making.
"It hasn't pushed us in a different direction but reinforces the things that we were focusing on before and has crystallised our thinking. This is a strategic direction that we need to take to have a branch network fit for the future."
The HSBC Hatfield bank will close in July, meaning customers will need to go to Welwyn Garden City for their banking needs, or do so online.
There will still be other banks available such as Halifax, Santander, Lloyds and Barclays in the town centre.
HSBC has maintained that all those 82 banks up for closure are within one mile of a Post Office.
- 1 'Garden thieves' caught on camera in Welwyn
- 2 TfL removes over 100 London buses after EV blaze in Potters Bar
- 3 Mother and daughter from WGC team up to offer food packages to struggling locals
- 4 Welwyn Garden City school earns prestigious development award
- 5 Toyota drove ‘erratically’ during suspected drug-fuelled trip in Hatfield
- 6 Council confirms first monkeypox case in Hertfordshire
- 7 Spectacular Grade II listed home near Hatfield on the market for £3m
- 8 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 9 Herts man charged with alleged attempted robbery at village Co-op
- 10 The Crossrail connections to Hertfordshire which were never built
Thankfully, Hatfield town centre recently got a new temporary location for its Post Office near the library.