Bank becomes latest to be lost from town centre
- Credit: Alan Davies
HSBC will close its Hatfield branch along, with 81 other locations between April and September.
Our town centre has been particularly hit by the pandemic with New Look, Peacocks, the Card Factory, Barnados and others moving away from in-person retail.
Jackie Uhi, HSBC UK's head of network, said: "The COVID-19 pandemic has emphasised the need for the changes that we are making.
"It hasn't pushed us in a different direction but reinforces the things that we were focusing on before and has crystallised our thinking. This is a strategic direction that we need to take to have a branch network fit for the future."
The HSBC Hatfield bank will close in July, meaning customers will need to go to Welwyn Garden City for their banking needs, or do so online.
There will still be other banks available such as Halifax, Santander, Lloyds and Barclays in the town centre.
HSBC has maintained that all those 82 banks up for closure are within one mile of a Post Office.
- 1 'Best headteacher' leaves Hatfield school
- 2 From Welwyn Garden City to Colorado: The long-distance fiancées fundraising for a UK visa
- 3 Hatfield to get new pub following £9 million investment
- 4 Hatfield man faces murder charge
- 5 Christmas gifts and hampers stolen from garden centre
- 6 Here are the new Covid travel rules which begin today
- 7 'It's incredible that this could save someone’s life'
- 8 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 9 Runners get festive for Garden City race
- 10 Suspected stabbing in Welwyn Garden City
Thankfully, Hatfield town centre recently got a new temporary location for its Post Office near the library.