Bus driver banned for killing disabled Hatfield man

A BUS driver who killed a disabled man riding an electric scooter across a dual carriageway has been banned from the roads for two years.

Hatfield man Ken Mills, who had MS, was testing how long the battery of his new buggy would last when he was struck and killed.

The 62-year-old was crossing the A6129 next to Stanborough Lakes, WGC, at about 2pm on July 27 last year, when he was hit by the Uno bus exiting the roundabout.

Bus driver Steven Conisbee, 54, pleaded guilty at St Albans Crown Court to causing death by careless driving.

Ann Evans, prosecuting, told Wednesday’s hearing how, after being hit by the bus, Mr Mills was dragged along and tipped out of his buggy in front of the vehicle.


You may also want to watch:


Conisbee, shaking and in a state of shock, told a lorry driver eyewitness: “I never saw him”.

Acccident investigators estimated the bus driver had three-and-a-half seconds in which to see Mr Mills crossing the road.

Most Read

Conisbee, who was on the way back to the bus station, gave a negative breath test at the scene and was not speeding.

Giles Curtis-Raleigh, in mitigation, said his client could give no explanation for the “momentary lapse of concentration”.

Conisbee was “full of genuine remorse” and vowed not to go back to driving for a living.

Judge Martin Griffith imposed a 12-month community order, including 200 hours unpaid work.

Conisbee, of Hanover Green, Hemel Hempstead, was also banned from driving for two years.

Judge Griffith told him: “What you did will live with you for ever.”

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus