Building work on composting plant set to start in one month
CONSTRUCTION work on a massive new composting plant could start within a month after a top Government minister raised no objections to developers plans. Communities Secretary Hazel Blears had been
CONSTRUCTION work on a massive new composting plant could start within a month after a top Government minister raised no objections to developers' plans.
Communities Secretary Hazel Blears had been considering proposals from Agrivert to build a waste processing facility on Green Belt land at Redwell Wood Farm, off Blackhorse Lane, South Mimms.
And on Friday, a spokeswoman for the Department of Communities and Local Government confirmed: "The secretary of state has completed her consideration of the case and is not going to have any further involvement."
The plans, which received more than 25 objections from homeowners, local authorities and other organisations, were originally approved by Hertfordshire County Council in December.
You may also want to watch:
A council spokeswoman told the Potters Bar Edition: "The next stage is that rights of way approval needs to be given,
which should happen within a month.
- 1 Rural land near Welwyn to go on sale next month
- 2 Sky Studios Elstree starts recruitment drive ahead of planned 2022 opening
- 3 Meet the woman behind Welwyn Garden City’s Halloween postbox topper
- 4 £45m housing development to be showcased as buyers get chance to select home
- 5 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 6 9 questions to decide how Welwyn Garden City you are!
- 7 Family of four ‘distraught’ after living in single hotel room for nearly five months after house fire
- 8 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 9 Primary school receives award for excellence in science education
- 10 Lloyds announce branch closure to leave Hatfield with one bank
"Planning permission can then be issued and they will be able to start construction."
When completed, the facility will be able to process up to 48,500 tonnes of organic waste annually over a period of 25 years, and is expected to see some 84 heavy lorry movements each day.
Cllr Rosemary Gilligan, who represents South Mimms on Hertsmere Borough Council, said she was disappointed by Ms Blears' decision.
She said her objections to the development, which include concerns about site access, "are still the same that they have been".
Cllr Gilligan added: "I know that the residents in the area will be pretty upset about the decision."
Referring to Ms Blears' review, an Agrivert spokesman said: "We are very pleased and we think it is the right decision.
"This development is hugely beneficial from an environmental point of view.
"It will significantly reduce the traffic in Hertfordshire as a whole and in terms of reducing greenhouse gases will have the same effect as taking 58,000 cars off the road each year.