Brookmans Park mum rides from Vietnam to Cambodia
A MUM-OF-THREE hopes to donate more than �6,000 to charity after completing an arduous cycling challenge in south-east Asia. Yvonne Tomlinson rode almost 500km from Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, to Angkor Wat, Cambodia, to raise money for the Alzheimer's Soc
A MUM-OF-THREE hopes to donate more than �6,000 to charity after completing an arduous cycling challenge in south-east Asia.
Yvonne Tomlinson rode almost 500km from Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, to Angkor Wat, Cambodia.
Her gruelling trek helped to raise money for the Alzheimer's Society.
Speaking to the WHT, the housewife said she undertook the challenge to "give something back" to the charity following her mother's diagnosis with Alzheimer's 15 years ago.
Yvonne, from Brookmans Park, added: "I also wanted to raise awareness about Alzheimer's, which is becoming more common.
"This disease can affect anyone and in most cases it is not hereditary.
- 1 Remembering WGC stalwart Robert Robinson
- 2 Nottingham man wanted in connection with Welwyn Garden City offences
- 3 VOTE: Which is your favourite chip shop in all of Hertfordshire?
- 4 7 great places to get a bottomless brunch in Hertfordshire
- 5 Man 'broke in and tried to steal car' in Potters Bar
- 6 Rent this Welwyn townhouse with River Mimram views for £2,400pcm
- 7 Noel Tovey named as managing director at Sky Studios Elstree and first production announced as Wicked
- 8 Grade II Hatfield hotel refurbishment continues
- 9 Ariana Grande and Cynthia Erivo’s Wicked movies to be filmed at new Sky Studios Elstree in Hertfordshire
- 10 Jobs created as new entertainment centre opens in Hatfield
"Any one of us could be affected, either personally or by a family member or friend."
Yvonne, originally from Colchester, said the expedition took her "totally out of her comfort zone".
She added it was difficult leaving her family behind.
"I have never done anything like this before, but in the past before I had my children I used to cycle 20 miles a day to work," she said.
"I did lots of training so I felt I was prepared for it but with the heat and humidity approaching 40 degrees on some days it was tough."
To date, Yvonne, of Peplins Way, has raised �5,804, but is expecting the final amount to be even higher.
"I have still got some pledges to collect but it is going to be over �6,000," she said.
The 46-year-old added: "I was aiming for �3,000 and to achieve �6,000 I am very, very pleased.
"All of my sponsors have been generous and I am very grateful for every contribution."
Donations can still be made online at www.justgiving.com/yvonnetomlinson
You can find out more about the charity by visiting www.alzheimers.org.uk