Brookmans Park mum rides from Vietnam to Cambodia
A MUM-OF-THREE hopes to donate more than �6,000 to charity after completing an arduous cycling challenge in south-east Asia. Yvonne Tomlinson rode almost 500km from Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, to Angkor Wat, Cambodia, to raise money for the Alzheimer's Soc
A MUM-OF-THREE hopes to donate more than �6,000 to charity after completing an arduous cycling challenge in south-east Asia.
Yvonne Tomlinson rode almost 500km from Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, to Angkor Wat, Cambodia.
Her gruelling trek helped to raise money for the Alzheimer's Society.
Speaking to the WHT, the housewife said she undertook the challenge to "give something back" to the charity following her mother's diagnosis with Alzheimer's 15 years ago.
You may also want to watch:
Yvonne, from Brookmans Park, added: "I also wanted to raise awareness about Alzheimer's, which is becoming more common.
"This disease can affect anyone and in most cases it is not hereditary.
- 1 Driving scheme for 10 to 17 year olds launches in Hatfield
- 2 Is Hertfordshire set to become the new British Hollywood?
- 3 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 4 Pregnant woman jailed for more than two years for killing cyclist
- 5 Enjoy the park but treat it with the respect it deserves, says manager
- 6 Rail passengers warned of three-day closure at London King's Cross station
- 7 Tributes to 'fearless and magnificent' former Queenswood School pupil and Peaky Blinders star Helen McCrory
- 8 Fantastic florist and art gallery opens in Hatfield following lockdown easing
- 9 Local COVID-19 contact tracing service now up and running
- 10 School donates textbooks to help communities in Kenya
"Any one of us could be affected, either personally or by a family member or friend."
Yvonne, originally from Colchester, said the expedition took her "totally out of her comfort zone".
She added it was difficult leaving her family behind.
"I have never done anything like this before, but in the past before I had my children I used to cycle 20 miles a day to work," she said.
"I did lots of training so I felt I was prepared for it but with the heat and humidity approaching 40 degrees on some days it was tough."
To date, Yvonne, of Peplins Way, has raised �5,804, but is expecting the final amount to be even higher.
"I have still got some pledges to collect but it is going to be over �6,000," she said.
The 46-year-old added: "I was aiming for �3,000 and to achieve �6,000 I am very, very pleased.
"All of my sponsors have been generous and I am very grateful for every contribution."
Donations can still be made online at www.justgiving.com/yvonnetomlinson
You can find out more about the charity by visiting www.alzheimers.org.uk