Brave the cold for Welwyn Hatfield homeless charity
RESIDENTS are being challenged once again to brave the cold and spend a night outdoors to raise awareness of homelessness.
The 2011 Sleep Easy event is being held on Saturday, January 29, challenging people to spend a night under cardboard in support of the YMCA and its work with homeless people.
This year’s event outside the Galleria in Hatfield raised almost �15,000 for YMCA Central Herts, and the WGC-based charity is hoping to trump that this time around, by holding not one, but two events in Times Territory.
The Galleria will once again be hosting the challenge, but now, for the first time, a WGC event will be taking place outside the Howard Centre.
Both events take place on the same night.
You may also want to watch:
Joanne Hussain, community fundraiser at YMCA Central Herts, said she hoped next year’s Sleep Easy will outdo the efforts of 2010, which was attended by former Strictly Come Dancing champion Camilla Dallerup and her fiance, Hollyoaks actor Kevin Sacre.
“Last year over 80 people took part in the Sleep Easy event at the Galleria and it raised nearly �15,000,” she said.
- 1 Rural land near Welwyn to go on sale next month
- 2 Sky Studios Elstree starts recruitment drive ahead of planned 2022 opening
- 3 Meet the woman behind Welwyn Garden City’s Halloween postbox topper
- 4 9 questions to decide how Welwyn Garden City you are!
- 5 £45m housing development to be showcased as buyers get chance to select home
- 6 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 7 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 8 Primary school receives award for excellence in science education
- 9 Family of four ‘distraught’ after living in single hotel room for nearly five months after house fire
- 10 Lloyds announce branch closure to leave Hatfield with one bank
“This year we are hoping to make the Sleep Easy even bigger and better.
“Last year’s participants braved temperatures as low as -5C.
“But the reality is an estimated 500 people sleep rough across the UK every night and regularly experience these conditions.
“With the support of people from across the Welwyn Hatfield community we can raise funds to support the YMCA, and work together to reduce this number.”
All money raised from Sleep Easy will go to YMCA Central Herts, and the supported accommodation it provides for more than 120 people in the county.
Registering for the event costs �10 which covers the costs of hot drinks throughout the night and a hot breakfast in the morning. To register or find out more information, call 01707 290717 or click on the link above.