Bra-vo! Hertsmere women donate thousands of bras
NEARLY 18,000 unwanted bras have been donated to Hertsmere Borough Council over the last 12 months.
The news emerged on the anniversary of the council’s bra recycling scheme, which was launched in March 2009.
Since the launch, some 17,913 bras –weighing more than 1,053 kg – have either been reused by women in poorer countries or recycled.
Plus, for every kilo of bras recycled, �1 has been raised for the Breast Cancer Campaign, a charity which funds innovative research into the disease.
Cllr Jean Heywood, environment portfolio holder, said: “It’s brilliant that this scheme has been so well supported.
You may also want to watch:
“Thank you to everyone who has taken part.
“By recycling your bras, not only will less waste be sent to landfill but women in poorer countries will benefit and you will be helping to fund research into breast cancer.”
- 1 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 2 Fine issued to funeral director after ‘clear and blatant breach’ of coronavirus rules
- 3 Documentary will delve into former palace turned home for WWII children
- 4 Significantly higher number of fines and warnings for COVID-19 rule breakers in Welwyn Hatfield than nearby areas
- 5 Police attend funeral as residents voice concerns about 'social distancing'
- 6 This week's pick of the movies made in Herts on TV
- 7 Principal reveals biggest challenges and successes during her time at Oaklands College
- 8 County council offices could be sold off or leased in part
- 9 Man sentenced to three years in prison for breaking girlfriend's jaw
- 10 More than 20 arrested following major Welwyn Hatfield county lines drugs operation
If you have any old bras then you can drop them into one of the council’s pink bra banks.
Bras should be placed in a bag before they are deposited.
In Potters Bar, bras can be dropped off in the reception of the borough council’s area office at the Wyllyotts Centre in Darkes Lane or in the car park or women’s changing rooms at the Furzefield Leisure Centre in Mutton Lane.