Boy sailor Michael Perham springs a leak
BOY sailor Michael Perham's troubled round-the-world voyage has hit another snag – after his boat sprung a leak. Luckily for the 17-year-old, he had just set sail again from a stop-off in Tasmania. Michael, of Oakroyd Avenue, Potters Bar,
BOY sailor Michael Perham's troubled round-the-world voyage has hit another snag - after his boat sprung a leak.
Luckily for the 17-year-old, he had just set sail again from a stop-off in Tasmania.
Michael, of Oakroyd Avenue, Potters Bar, wrote on his online blog: "When I ducked my head into the aft compartment to have a check on the rudder bearing, I was shocked to see loads of water sloshing about.
"I quickly bailed out the water and, after a closer inspection, I could see water coming over the lower bearing and into the boat.
"I phoned the marina, spun round and headed straight back."
He added: "I'm incredibly glad I found this leak 20 miles out rather than halfway across the Pacific!"
- 1 Shoppers predict ‘demise’ of Welwyn Garden City town centre after store closures announced
- 2 Marks & Spencer confirm Welwyn Garden City store closure
- 3 Council fights for lower housing targets
- 4 Next to close Welwyn Garden City store this week
- 5 Outdoor gym opens in Hatfield
- 6 Purse stolen in Hatfield
- 7 Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat finally comes to Potters Bar's Wyllyotts Theatre
- 8 ‘Please do not vote to damage Welwyn irreparably’
- 9 Three bulldogs rescued from fire by passersby
- 10 £45m bid to improve QEII Hospital
Michael is hoping to become the youngest person to circumnavigate the globe single-handed.
But his epic 24,000-mile voyage has been plagued with problems.
He was forced to stop in Portugal, Gran Canaria and Cape Town after problems with the autopilot on his Open 50 Racing yacht.