Boy sailor Michael Perham springs a leak
BOY sailor Michael Perham's troubled round-the-world voyage has hit another snag – after his boat sprung a leak. Luckily for the 17-year-old, he had just set sail again from a stop-off in Tasmania. Michael, of Oakroyd Avenue, Potters Bar,
BOY sailor Michael Perham's troubled round-the-world voyage has hit another snag - after his boat sprung a leak.
Luckily for the 17-year-old, he had just set sail again from a stop-off in Tasmania.
Michael, of Oakroyd Avenue, Potters Bar, wrote on his online blog: "When I ducked my head into the aft compartment to have a check on the rudder bearing, I was shocked to see loads of water sloshing about.
"I quickly bailed out the water and, after a closer inspection, I could see water coming over the lower bearing and into the boat.
You may also want to watch:
"I phoned the marina, spun round and headed straight back."
He added: "I'm incredibly glad I found this leak 20 miles out rather than halfway across the Pacific!"
- 1 More than 20 arrested following major Welwyn Hatfield county lines drugs operation
- 2 Closing the New QEII at night permanently still to be considered
- 3 Man sentenced to three years in prison for breaking girlfriend's jaw
- 4 COVID-19 deaths across Hertfordshire hit new milestone
- 5 Bank becomes latest to be lost from town centre
- 6 Mum-of-four loses six stone in just over a year after being unable to play with her youngest child
- 7 'Horrific' abuser who 'showed no remorse' sentenced
- 8 Former Spitfire and Hurricane engineer celebrates 100th birthday
- 9 Apply for planning permission or move skips and machinery, company told
- 10 Who is Lady Danbury in new Netflix series Bridgerton?
Michael is hoping to become the youngest person to circumnavigate the globe single-handed.
But his epic 24,000-mile voyage has been plagued with problems.
He was forced to stop in Portugal, Gran Canaria and Cape Town after problems with the autopilot on his Open 50 Racing yacht.