Boy sailor Michael Perham springs a leak
BOY sailor Michael Perham's troubled round-the-world voyage has hit another snag – after his boat sprung a leak. Luckily for the 17-year-old, he had just set sail again from a stop-off in Tasmania. Michael, of Oakroyd Avenue, Potters Bar,
BOY sailor Michael Perham's troubled round-the-world voyage has hit another snag - after his boat sprung a leak.
Luckily for the 17-year-old, he had just set sail again from a stop-off in Tasmania.
Michael, of Oakroyd Avenue, Potters Bar, wrote on his online blog: "When I ducked my head into the aft compartment to have a check on the rudder bearing, I was shocked to see loads of water sloshing about.
"I quickly bailed out the water and, after a closer inspection, I could see water coming over the lower bearing and into the boat.
You may also want to watch:
"I phoned the marina, spun round and headed straight back."
He added: "I'm incredibly glad I found this leak 20 miles out rather than halfway across the Pacific!"
- 1 Planning application submitted for 173-space car park and mobile café at park
- 2 Preparation works under way for Stonehills revamp
- 3 Man suffers fractured skull and bleed on the brain after pub assault
- 4 What to do if you see these hazardous caterpillars in a park
- 5 Delight for performing arts school as song hits number one in iTunes classical charts
- 6 Mum's proud of soldier son's guard of honour role at Prince Philip's funeral
- 7 Rail passengers warned of three-day closure at London King's Cross station
- 8 'These heroes deserve a proper pay rise' - Demonstration of support for NHS workers to be held outside New QEII
- 9 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 10 NHS hired conman on £320,000 five months after he was unmasked
Michael is hoping to become the youngest person to circumnavigate the globe single-handed.
But his epic 24,000-mile voyage has been plagued with problems.
He was forced to stop in Portugal, Gran Canaria and Cape Town after problems with the autopilot on his Open 50 Racing yacht.