Hertsmere MP Oliver Dowden appointed Tory co-chairman but loses secretary role
- Credit: STEFAN ROUSSEAU/PA
Former Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Secretary Oliver Dowden has been appointed as co-chairman of the Conservative Party.
Mid Bedfordshire MP Nadine Dorries will be replacing the Hertsmere MP as the new DCMS Secretary.
Mr Dowden will replace the previous co-chair Amanda Milling MP, who was sacked earlier today.
A part of his new role he will continue to attend cabinet, but he will no longer be a cabinet minister according to the BBC.
Oliver Dowden took on the role as DCSM Secretary in February 2020, just over a month before the first national lockdown.
A large amount of his tenure has looked at reopening events during the pandemic.
One hiccup during his time was an advert which suggested individuals in the arts could make their next career moves 'in cyber', which drew a large amount of criticism.
- 1 Shoppers predict ‘demise’ of Welwyn Garden City town centre after store closures announced
- 2 Marks & Spencer confirm Welwyn Garden City store closure
- 3 Council fights for lower housing targets
- 4 Next to close Welwyn Garden City store this week
- 5 Outdoor gym opens in Hatfield
- 6 Purse stolen in Hatfield
- 7 Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat finally comes to Potters Bar's Wyllyotts Theatre
- 8 ‘Please do not vote to damage Welwyn irreparably’
- 9 Three bulldogs rescued from fire by passersby
- 10 £45m bid to improve QEII Hospital