Blaze at Hatfield pub
A PUB landlord has praised firefighters for their actions after a blaze in an upstairs room.
Neil Carroll, owner of The Hatfield Arms in Hatfield, said around 20 pubgoers and staff had to be evacuated after the incident on Sunday last week at around 9pm.
Without the quick thinking of the Hatfield firefighters, Mr Carroll feared the Great North Road pub could have been gutted.
Mr Carroll told the Welwyn Hatfield Times: “It is business as usual, thanks to the fire brigade who reacted very quickly. I cannot thank them enough for their immediate response.
“It would have been a very sad Christmas if the roof had caught fire.
You may also want to watch:
“Minor damages were caused to one upstairs room and one window in need of replacement.
The cause of the fire is not yet confirmed, but it is thought to be caused by a cigarette not extinguished properly.
- 1 How Welwyn's White Hart pub improvised after £100K kitchen inferno
- 2 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 3 Banned driver jailed following high-speed police chase
- 4 6 of the best places to hot tub in and around Hertfordshire
- 5 Arrests made following stop and searches – including teenager with baton
- 6 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals
- 7 Conservatives hit back at Lib Dems over Local Plan collapse claims
- 8 'Another Jo Cox' - Hatfield councillor predicted MP attack months before David Amess death
- 9 Plans drawn up to reduce places at primary schools due to surplus
- 10 Welwyn Garden City murder-suicide: Grief-stricken family release statement