Blaze at Hatfield pub
A PUB landlord has praised firefighters for their actions after a blaze in an upstairs room.
Neil Carroll, owner of The Hatfield Arms in Hatfield, said around 20 pubgoers and staff had to be evacuated after the incident on Sunday last week at around 9pm.
Without the quick thinking of the Hatfield firefighters, Mr Carroll feared the Great North Road pub could have been gutted.
Mr Carroll told the Welwyn Hatfield Times: “It is business as usual, thanks to the fire brigade who reacted very quickly. I cannot thank them enough for their immediate response.
“It would have been a very sad Christmas if the roof had caught fire.
You may also want to watch:
“Minor damages were caused to one upstairs room and one window in need of replacement.
The cause of the fire is not yet confirmed, but it is thought to be caused by a cigarette not extinguished properly.
- 1 COVID-19: Welwyn Hatfield tops Hertfordshire for cases per 100,000
- 2 Mum-of-four loses six stone in just over a year after being unable to play with her youngest child
- 3 More than 20 arrested following major Welwyn Hatfield county lines drugs operation
- 4 Coroner rules Joy Morgan death 'unlawful killing' but finds no cause at inquest
- 5 Closing the New QEII at night permanently still to be considered
- 6 Man sentenced to three years in prison for breaking girlfriend's jaw
- 7 'Horrific' abuser who 'showed no remorse' sentenced
- 8 COVID-19 outbreaks now in half of all Herts care homes
- 9 Bank becomes latest to be lost from town centre
- 10 Former Spitfire and Hurricane engineer celebrates 100th birthday