‘Be vigilant’ call over Welwyn Garden City woodland blazes
FIREFIGHTERS are asking the public to be “extra vigilant” after a succession of big blazes in a woodland area stretched a fire station’s resources.
Woods near Oakdale and Summer Dale, WGC, have been set alight several times in May which crews from WGC Fire Station have had to tackle.
The last incident occurred on Monday when two fire engines were called to Oakdale just after 10pm.
A dozen firefighters were sent to the scene and the crews fear if the fires continue it could prohibit them from quickly attending a call-out where lives are at stake.
WGC firefighter Adrian Kimber said: “We are asking people to be extra vigilant.
You may also want to watch:
“We believe it’s children who are a bit bored that are causing them.
“It is a waste of our resources and they are turning into big fires – if there is a crash on the A1(M) it could have serious consequences.”
- 1 Man drowns in Stanborough Lakes
- 2 What are the outstanding schools in Hertfordshire?
- 3 Standon Calling called off after heavy rain and lightning risk
- 4 New Sexy Beasts dating show for Netflix filmed in Hertfordshire
- 5 The changing nature of Potters Bar high street
- 6 Grant Shapps 'completely opposed' to closure of QEII Urgent Care Centre at night
- 7 7 top tourist attractions to visit in Hertfordshire during the summer holidays
- 8 Welwyn nursery manager meets Boris Johnson at Downing Street reception
- 9 Young girl ‘shaken’ after phone placed under toilet cubicle
- 10 'A day none of us will forget' - Princess Anne visits Lister Hospital