‘Be vigilant’ call over Welwyn Garden City woodland blazes
FIREFIGHTERS are asking the public to be “extra vigilant” after a succession of big blazes in a woodland area stretched a fire station’s resources.
Woods near Oakdale and Summer Dale, WGC, have been set alight several times in May which crews from WGC Fire Station have had to tackle.
The last incident occurred on Monday when two fire engines were called to Oakdale just after 10pm.
A dozen firefighters were sent to the scene and the crews fear if the fires continue it could prohibit them from quickly attending a call-out where lives are at stake.
WGC firefighter Adrian Kimber said: “We are asking people to be extra vigilant.
You may also want to watch:
“We believe it’s children who are a bit bored that are causing them.
“It is a waste of our resources and they are turning into big fires – if there is a crash on the A1(M) it could have serious consequences.”
- 1 Full list of Welwyn Hatfield results for Local Elections 2021
- 2 Fence that blocked public path now removed
- 3 What time will the election results come in?
- 4 Billy Joe Saunders v Saul Canelo Alvarez - as it happened
- 5 Man found with head injuries following assault
- 6 5 venues and leisure attractions that can reopen from Monday, May 17
- 7 Have you seen this wanted man?
- 8 Teenager arrested following pub break in
- 9 COVID deaths at Lister pass grim milestone
- 10 Woman injured after attack by out of control dog