‘Be vigilant’ call over Welwyn Garden City woodland blazes
FIREFIGHTERS are asking the public to be “extra vigilant” after a succession of big blazes in a woodland area stretched a fire station’s resources.
Woods near Oakdale and Summer Dale, WGC, have been set alight several times in May which crews from WGC Fire Station have had to tackle.
The last incident occurred on Monday when two fire engines were called to Oakdale just after 10pm.
A dozen firefighters were sent to the scene and the crews fear if the fires continue it could prohibit them from quickly attending a call-out where lives are at stake.
WGC firefighter Adrian Kimber said: “We are asking people to be extra vigilant.
You may also want to watch:
“We believe it’s children who are a bit bored that are causing them.
“It is a waste of our resources and they are turning into big fires – if there is a crash on the A1(M) it could have serious consequences.”
- 1 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 2 Family of four ‘distraught’ living in single hotel room for nearly five months after house fire
- 3 6 of the best places to hot tub in and around Hertfordshire
- 4 How Welwyn's White Hart pub improvised after £100K kitchen inferno
- 5 Banned driver jailed following high-speed police chase
- 6 County success for Phil Embleton while Brookmans Park golfers enjoy annual highlight
- 7 'Another Jo Cox' - Hatfield councillor predicted MP attack months before David Amess death
- 8 The Proclaimers to headline Folk by the Oak in Hatfield Park
- 9 Arrests made following stop and searches – including teenager with baton
- 10 Dozens die after catching COVID-19 in our hospitals