Welwyn Garden City’s Barbara sheds six stone after diabetes scare
- Credit: Archant
A Welwyn Garden City woman has lost over six stone after being diagnosed as borderline type 2 diabetic - and as a result is now no longer at risk of the disease.
Barbara Atkins, who has lost 6 stone 13lbs, was voted as the Woodhall Slimming World group’s Miss Slinky 2018, after her fellow members were wowed by her achievements.
Slimming World’s annual Miss Slinky competition recognises those members who have transformed both inside and out by becoming healthier, happier, slimmer and more confident.
Barbara says she was “thrilled” to win her title and never imagined that her name and the word slinky would ever be associated together.
Barbara, 50, who has dropped from a dress size 26/28 to a size 14, said: “I was already really looking forward to this Christmas and feeling confident enough to wear outfits that I couldn’t or wouldn’t have last year.
“Winning the title of Miss Slinky means I have even more to celebrate and I know this festive season will be extra special.”
Since Barbara was diagnosed by her doctor as being borderline type 2 diabetic, having high blood pressure and high cholesterol, her levels have now returned to normal.
- 1 IN PICTURES: Stars come out for Simply Red concert in Hatfield Park
- 2 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 3 It's A Kind of Magic as Queen Symphonic's Bohemian Rhapsody rocks Hatfield Park
- 4 'Risk of injury' - Aldi recalls product due to safety fears
- 5 'Tesco must tackle blight of trolley-dumping in Potters Bar'
- 6 Updated Simply Red set times for Hatfield Park concert
- 7 Jodie Williams defies injury-blighted season to claim Commonwealth bronze
- 8 Pictures of Paloma Faith and special guest Sam Ryder at Hatfield Park concert
- 9 Sign of the times: The life of Welwyn Garden City signwriter Arthur Brown
- 10 Champions! Old Owens going up after securing title
Barbara was referred to the weight loss group by her GP on the Slimming World Referral Scheme.
Janice Southam, who runs the Woodhall group, said: “Christmas is a time of year for getting dressed up and having a good time. However I know a lot of my members have told me they’d often dread it because they felt uncomfortable and out of place at parties, which is just so sad.
“This year I know Barbara will feel completely different from previous years.
“I’ve no doubt that she will inspire other people to lose weight too and show that whether you’ve got a little or a lot of weight to lose, slimming down can make a big difference to how you feel about yourself and really boost your confidence.”
If you’re interested in joining the group go along to The Salvation Army, Colegreen Lane, WGC, every Tuesday at 5.30pm, Wednesdays at 9.30am, 11.30am, 5.30pm and 7.30pm or call Janice on 07946 406033.