Nearly 500 sign petition against B&Q flat proposal
- Credit: Google Maps
A petition to prevent Welwyn Garden City's B&Q being turned into flats has gained hundreds of signatures.
A submitted proposal would see the DIY & hardware store demolished and three blocks of flats, 151 total, built in its place.
Local tradesman Ricky Cooper set up the Change.org petition as he believes it is a valuable local asset.
He said: "I have been in Welwyn all my life and always know B&Q. As a local tradesman I am in there most days. I’m up for change and understand more and more is done online but surely not this trade?
"B&Q offer a pensioners day where they get a discount, most of these pensioners go there for the garden centre being the only local one for them.
"These people understandably do not want to travel miles. Weekends the store is always 10+ deep at the checkout as it it on pensioners day."
You may also want to watch:
The proposal is from landlord company Thrive Homes not B&Q, which has a lease on the store until late 2024 and does not support the plans.
Click here to sign the petition.
Click here to visit the application.
- 1 Welwyn Garden City man shares 9.5 stone weight loss journey
- 2 12 year old girl hospitalised after being hit by car
- 3 Stonehills road section to reopen soon - but delays to other work
- 4 Ed Sheeran announces 2022 stadium tour: How to get tickets
- 5 Application could see two festival sites next to each other
- 6 Headteacher calls out 'dangerous' and 'inconsiderate' parking from parents outside school
- 7 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 8 Council leader survives no confidence vote
- 9 Grant Shapps denounces Insulate Britain protesters as 'dangerous and counterproductive'
- 10 Historic Green Belt site under threat