Award nominations for Welwyn Hatfield charities
TWO charities from Times Territory have been recognised for the positive impact they’ve had on the community, after both were shortlisted for a top award.
Space Youth and Community Centre, based in WGC, and the Willow Foundation in Old Hatfield are among three candidates for the Everyday Impact Award, part of the Directory of Social Change (DSC) third annual Social Change Awards.
The award recognises the work of individuals, small companies and community groups that make positive changes to their areas.
Space, a community centre set up in Church Road by YMCA Central Herts, has only been running since May 2008, but in that time has grown from a one-night-a-week social group for young people into a five-day youth and community programme, including the Citizens Advice Bureau, bereavement counselling and drop-in cafes.
Space manager Christine Novelli said: “We were delighted to hear the Space project had been shortlisted, and we would like to encourage all supporters, users, and members to register their support for the project by voting on the DSC website.”
You may also want to watch:
The Willow Foundation, which is celebrating its 10th anniversary this year, was founded by former Arsenal goalkeeper Bob Wilson and his wife Megs, in memory of their daughter Anna, who died of cancer in 1998.
The charity organises special days out for people aged between 16 and 40 who are suffering from life-threatening illnesses.
- 1 9 things you didn’t know about the making of Band of Brothers
- 2 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 3 When is Team GB cycling star Laura Kenny in action at Tokyo 2020 Olympics?
- 4 Dangerous Welwyn Garden City domestic abuser who slashed ex-girlfriend's throat jailed
- 5 From Hertfordshire to the Strictly dancefloor: 7 Strictly Come Dancing contestant from the county
- 6 Do you remember when Grange Hill was filmed in Hatfield?
- 7 6 Oscar-winning movies filmed on location in Hertfordshire
- 8 Welwyn Garden City named Hertfordshire’s sexiest place
- 9 'This is history!' - 25 facts about the Oasis concerts at Knebworth Park 25 years ago
- 10 New Sexy Beasts dating show for Netflix filmed in Hertfordshire
Mr Wilson said: “Being shortlisted for this award means a great deal to us and the charity. We’re proud of this achievement and humbled to have been shortlisted.”
The award will be decided by public vote and the winners announced on November 26.
To vote for your favourite charity, visit www.socialchangeawards.org.uk