Audio: World War Two 70 years on - Neville Chamberlain's radio broadcast
TODAY exactly 70 years ago Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain was announcing that Great Britain was at war with Germany – two days after the Nazis had invaded Poland. Residents in WGC received the news over the radio (which you can also hear
TODAY exactly 70 years ago Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain was announcing that Great Britain was at war with Germany - two days after the Nazis had invaded Poland.
Residents in WGC received the news over the radio (which you can also hear if you click below) with "calm and courage, and with a strong determination to play their part, however large or small, in the defence of their country and empire against injustice and oppression" The Welwyn Times reported in the next issue on September 7 1939.
The paper also paid homage to these residents by thanking them for their hard work.
In a statement to the press on the day, Mr A.W. Richardson, chairman of the WGC Urban Council, also praised people's efforts.
You may also want to watch:
In a special six page feature in this week's Welwyn & Hatfield Times, our war correspondent Simon Wesson delves into the archives to find out how our borough reacted to the onset of the conflict.
And you can also read issues of the (then-called) Welwyn Times from September 1939, in special e-edition format. Click on the links below.
Read the Welwyn Times from September 7, 1939 here �Read the Welwyn Times from September 7, 1939 here �Read the Welwyn Times from September 14, 1939 here �Read the Welwyn Times from September 14, 1939 here �
- 1 Police attend funeral as residents voice concerns about 'social distancing'
- 2 COVID-19: Welwyn Hatfield tops Hertfordshire for cases per 100,000
- 3 Golf club has dozens of buggy batteries stolen in one day
- 4 More than 20 arrested following major Welwyn Hatfield county lines drugs operation
- 5 Herts and West Essex boast highest vaccination figures in East of England
- 6 Coroner rules Joy Morgan death 'unlawful killing' but finds no cause at inquest
- 7 Local Plan: Inspector has concerns over why Green Belt sites were removed
- 8 Man sentenced to three years in prison for breaking girlfriend's jaw
- 9 Mum-of-four loses six stone in just over a year after being unable to play with her youngest child
- 10 'Horrific' abuser who 'showed no remorse' sentenced