Attorney General to review child molester’s jail sentence
THE Attorney General has agreed to review the prison sentence handed out to St Albans paedophile Colin Wray, following a request by an MP from Hertfordshire.
Mike Penning, MP for Hemel Hempstead, wrote to Attorney General Baroness Scotland this week asking for her to review the four year jail term handed out to Wray, of Gorham Drive, for a history of abuse against children in the 70s and 80s.
Some of the offences took place in Hemel Hempstead, and only came to light after his victim, Tracy Lawrence from Hatfield, came forward last year.
Wray, 60, was sentenced to four years in jail at St Albans Crown Court earlier this month, but having pleaded guilty to the offences, and the fact he will be allowed to be released on licence after serving half his sentence, he could be out after just 16 months.
But following Mr Penning’s letter, the Attorney General has asked for the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) to hand over the case papers for Wray.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Penning said: “I am delighted that the Attorney General has agreed that the case is worth looking at. It is outrageous and very worrying that this monster could be eligible for release after just 16 months.”
Mrs Lawrence, 37, praised Mr Penning, saying: “It feels good to know there’s someone else out there fighting your corner.”
- 1 Woody & Kleiny release Euros single Route 66 with The Hoosiers for charity CALM
- 2 'This doesn’t make much sense' - MPs react to proposed boundary changes
- 3 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 4 Investigation to take place into contact social services had with Christie Frewin before her murder
- 5 Do you think 'Freedom Day' should go ahead on June 21?
- 6 Puddingstone Distillery launches new Ultrasonic gin to help Herts charity protect bats
- 7 Reis Suart becomes first county champion from Welwyn Garden City in over three decades
- 8 Say this secret phrase and get a free pint for the first game of the Euros
- 9 Student union apologises after controversial ‘Solidarity with Palestine’ post
- 10 Mother speaks out after garden centre breastfeeding dispute 'mishandled at every stage'