Arson attack at maisonette
ARSON is being blamed after a couple had to be dramatically rescued after a fire was started in Panshanger.
Police said “some things” were piled up and torched in front of the front door to the maisonette in Lincoln Close between 4am and 4.20am on Wednesday.
The fire had not breached the front door of the property.
Firefighters used an extendable ladder and plucked the trapped man and woman from a first floor window.
Four fire engines, two from WGC, one from Welwyn and one from Hatfield, arrived at the scene and a jet was used to douse the blaze.
You may also want to watch:
Two people were taken by ambulance to the QE2 Hospital with smoke inhalation.
Firefighters donned breathing apparatus and entered the home to check the fire had not spread.
- 1 Ed Sheeran announces 2022 stadium tour: How to get tickets
- 2 Welwyn Garden City man shares 9.5 stone weight loss journey
- 3 12 year old girl hospitalised after being hit by car
- 4 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 5 Stonehills road section to reopen soon - but delays to other work
- 6 Council leader survives no confidence vote
- 7 Headteacher calls out 'dangerous' and 'inconsiderate' parking from parents outside school
- 8 Application could see two festival sites next to each other
- 9 Welwyn Garden City one step closer FA Cup dreamland with deserved victory at Bedford Town
- 10 DIY SOS star Billy Byrne set to open returning Codicote Village Day this weekend
The fire was out by 5am.
The cause of the fire is currently under investigation, but police confirmed they are treating it as an arson attack.