Arsenal stars score a hit for Willow Foundation
ARSENAL football stars have helped raise thousands of pounds for a Hatfield-based charity. A six-a-side knock-out competition held at the Arsenal FC training ground in London Colney raised �4,000 for the Willow Foundation, a national charity for seriously
ARSENAL football stars have helped raise thousands of pounds for a Hatfield-based charity.
A six-a-side knock-out competition held at the Arsenal FC training ground in London Colney raised �4,000 for the Willow Foundation, a national charity for seriously ill 16 to 40-year-olds.
A team of Greenwich University students organised the event and, as well as former Gunners Ray Parlour and Bob Wilson, current club heroes Theo Walcott, Manuel Almunia and Tomas Rosicky also made a surprise appearance.
England team physio Gary Lewin oversaw the running of the tournament.
You may also want to watch:
His daughter Vicki, one of the student organisers, said it was a great day.
She added: "What a surprise to see the Arsenal players - they posed for photos and they really made the day special."
- 1 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 2 Fine issued to funeral director after ‘clear and blatant breach’ of coronavirus rules
- 3 Documentary will delve into former palace turned home for WWII children
- 4 Man in hospital after being trapped in car following A1(M) crash
- 5 Significantly higher number of fines and warnings for COVID-19 rule breakers in Welwyn Hatfield than nearby areas
- 6 Gallery: Snow gives Welwyn Hatfield residents much-needed fun in lockdown
- 7 Police attend funeral as residents voice concerns about 'social distancing'
- 8 County council offices could be sold off or leased in part
- 9 Principal reveals biggest challenges and successes during her time at Oaklands College
- 10 Welwyn Garden City's Sam Caiger returns for West Ham ready to put injury woes behind him
Tournament winner Tonbridge Reunion sailed through the competition and were awarded first prize of tickets to see England take on Slovakia at Wembley Stadium this month.
An auction of signed Arsenal shirts helped raise a total of �4,314, all of which will go towards the Willow Foundation, which organises special days for seriously ill young adults.
The Willow Foundation was set up by former Arsenal goalkeeper Bob Wilson and wife Megs 10 years ago in memory of their daughter Anna, who died of cancer aged 31.