Around �10,000 worth of cigarettes stolen from Welwyn Garden City store
BETWEEN �7,000 and �10,000 worth of cigarettes were stolen from a WGC convenience store.
The raid saw “three possible offenders” break in to the Co-op on Shoplands taking a stash of fags during the early hours of this morning (Thursday).
A worker at the store said: “The alarm went off at about 1am. The burglars must have ripped open the shutter with a claw hammer or something because they’ve broken it.
“They only opened it a bit and then smashed the glass to get in and steel the cigarettes.”
He added: “We haven’t worked out exactly how many were taken yet, but it was loads and loads of cigarettes, probably around �7,000 to �10,000 worth.
You may also want to watch:
“This morning the shutter wouldn’t go up, you could only get in through by crawling in. So we setup a temporary shop to serve customers instead.”
A police spokeswoman said there are “three possible offenders”, and urged any witnesses or anyone with any information to call 0845 33 00 222.
- 1 Rural land near Welwyn to go on sale next month
- 2 Family of four ‘distraught’ after living in single hotel room for nearly five months after house fire
- 3 Serial flasher who 'showed no remorse' jailed
- 4 £45m housing development to be showcased as buyers get chance to select home
- 5 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 6 Meet the woman behind Welwyn Garden City’s Halloween postbox topper
- 7 Lloyds announce branch closure to leave Hatfield with one bank
- 8 6 of the best places to hot tub in and around Hertfordshire
- 9 Welwyn Garden City murder-suicide: Grief-stricken family release statement
- 10 Hatfield curry house is hot stuff after being named nation’s best