Armed robbers strike at two Welwyn Hatfield shops
ARMED robbers are being hunted by police after raids on two shops.
Two masked men, one of them wielding a metal crowbar, burst into Panshanger Stores in Westfield, WGC, at 8.40pm on Saturday.
While one loitered by the door, the other demanded cash, and got into a scuffle with a shop worker.
The robber was prevented from getting to the counter by a second member of staff, and the pair fled empty-handed.
Police are linking the raid to another that happened at 2.45pm the following afternoon, Sunday, at Welwyn North Stores in Harmer Green Lane, Digswell.
You may also want to watch:
A balaclava-clad man walked into the shop and assaulted a worker with a metal bar, leaving him with head injuries.
The raider escaped, in the direction of the railway station, with cash.
- 1 'Almost double the population' - Plans unveiled for two adjacent festivals at the same time
- 2 F9: Filming locations of Vin Diesel's new Fast & Furious 9 movie
- 3 Deal signed with construction firm for old Shredded Wheat factory
- 4 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 5 Aldi eyes new Hertfordshire store locations
- 6 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 7 Re-appeal launched after driver arrested and pedestrian hospitalised following crash
- 8 Frank Turner added to revised Slam Dunk Festival 2021 line-up set for Hatfield
- 9 'It means the world' - lucky Postcode Lottery winners scoop £180,000 prize
- 10 Woody & Kleiny release Euros single Route 66 with The Hoosiers for charity CALM
Detective inspector Robin Winder said: “Fortunately no-one was seriously injured.
“We believe there would have been several witnesses in the area at the times of the offences and are appealing for them to come forward.
“If you were near either store at the time of the incidents or saw anyone acting suspiciously we would like to hear from you.”
Call police with information on 0845 33 00 222.
* For dramatic pictures and a first-hand account of one of the raids, plus descriptions of the offenders, see the new-look Welwyn Hatfield Times, out today (Wednesday).