Armed robbers strike at two Welwyn Hatfield shops
ARMED robbers are being hunted by police after raids on two shops.
Two masked men, one of them wielding a metal crowbar, burst into Panshanger Stores in Westfield, WGC, at 8.40pm on Saturday.
While one loitered by the door, the other demanded cash, and got into a scuffle with a shop worker.
The robber was prevented from getting to the counter by a second member of staff, and the pair fled empty-handed.
Police are linking the raid to another that happened at 2.45pm the following afternoon, Sunday, at Welwyn North Stores in Harmer Green Lane, Digswell.
You may also want to watch:
A balaclava-clad man walked into the shop and assaulted a worker with a metal bar, leaving him with head injuries.
The raider escaped, in the direction of the railway station, with cash.
- 1 Sky Studios Elstree starts recruitment drive ahead of planned 2022 opening
- 2 Fireworks displays in Hertfordshire for Bonfire Night 2021
- 3 Christmas event plans revealed for Welwyn Hatfield
- 4 Businesses to decide on future of Welwyn Garden City BID as renewal campaign gets underway
- 5 Councillor Steven Markiewicz dies from illness after 17 years of service
- 6 Rural land near Welwyn to go on sale next month
- 7 When do the clocks go back in 2021 and British Summer Time ends?
- 8 Log thrown through hairdressers' window in Knebworth
- 9 Residents and councillors react to Lloyds Bank closure
- 10 9 questions to decide how Welwyn Garden City you are!
Detective inspector Robin Winder said: “Fortunately no-one was seriously injured.
“We believe there would have been several witnesses in the area at the times of the offences and are appealing for them to come forward.
“If you were near either store at the time of the incidents or saw anyone acting suspiciously we would like to hear from you.”
Call police with information on 0845 33 00 222.
* For dramatic pictures and a first-hand account of one of the raids, plus descriptions of the offenders, see the new-look Welwyn Hatfield Times, out today (Wednesday).