Armed police launch manhunt for suspected gunman in Welwyn Garden City
ARMED police officers swarmed the Panshanger area of WGC last night (Friday) after reports of a gunman threatening motorists.
Dozens of officers and the force helicopter raced to the B1000 Hertford Road at 10.45pm after worried drivers called 999.
A police spokeswoman told the Welwyn Hatfield Times the reports said a man was standing in the middle of the road beckoning cars to stop.
The man was acting in a menacing and aggressive manner and, because of the way he was standing, motorists believed he was holding a rifle, the spokeswoman said.
As armed police launched a manhunt, Inspector Phillippa Dowsett called nearby Tewin Bury Farm, which was hosting a function, and ordered partygoers to stay indoors for their own safety.
You may also want to watch:
An eyewitness told the Welwyn Hatfield Times punters at the Fairway Tavern, on the Panshanger Golf Complex on Old Herns Lane, were also told not to leave the pub.
Around an hour later, police surrounded a suspect and used a Taser in order to detain him.
- 1 Dangerous Welwyn Garden City domestic abuser who slashed ex-girlfriend's throat jailed
- 2 Safety check and risk assessment failings for hundreds of Welwyn Hatfield council houses
- 3 When is Team GB cycling star Laura Kenny in action at Tokyo 2020 Olympics?
- 4 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 5 Community reacts to closure of overnight Urgent Care Centre service at New QEII Hospital
- 6 9 things you didn’t know about the making of Band of Brothers
- 7 Water safety advice issued following lake drowning
- 8 New report reveals 28 Covid deaths at Hatfield care home
- 9 Henry Moore Foundation in Hertfordshire appears in new Fake or Fortune? series on BBC One
- 10 The changing nature of Potters Bar high street
“We Tasered him because we believed he had a gun,” the police spokeswoman said
No weapon was found.
* A 37-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of affray.
At time of writing he is in custody at Hatfield police station.