Anti-poverty campaigners from Welwyn Garden City call for action
Young anti-poverty campaigners from Welwyn Garden City travelled to Brussels to call on their MEP to help eradicate poverty in Africa.
Welwyn Garden City resident Mary Mandefield, 23, is a Youth Ambassador for the ONE Campaign.
She was one of the ambassadors who met MEP Alex Mayer in the European Parliament and handed her a petition signed by 59,632 people.
The ambassadors and the MEP discussed how Africa’s population is set to more than double by 2050, with half of the population under 25 years old.
Mary said: “After spending three days in Brussels at the ONE youth ambassador summit learning more about the EU budget, I was excited to meet Alex Mayer and speak to her about the importance of the European aid budget.
You may also want to watch:
“As a Welwyn Garden City resident I have always been keen to volunteer in my local community as well as overseas.
“Seeing poverty first hand in Kenya is my main motivation to campaign and meet with MPs and MEPs.”
- 1 Keep on the grass - sign telling people to stay off land taped over
- 2 June 21: Will Step 4 lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 3 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 4 Save Symondshyde still waiting for inspector's report
- 5 Welwyn Garden City Hockey Club pushing for more girls to play in centenary season
- 6 Woody & Kleiny release Euros single Route 66 with The Hoosiers for charity CALM
- 7 Heroic dogs win Royal Veterinary College award
- 8 Welwyn continue meteoric rise up the table as Owais Shah takes centre stage again
- 9 'This doesn’t make much sense' - MPs react to proposed boundary changes
- 10 Pupils present cheque from Captain Tom 100 Challenge to charity
Alex said: “It is great to welcome Mary and the other ONE ambassadors to the European Parliament.
“I think I can see some future world leaders here.
“We had a detailed discussion about the challenges of famines, disease and people fleeing conflict.
“I will certainly reflect on their thoughts when I vote on development aid later this month.”