Ann Widdecombe at Hatfield business lunch
ONE of the country's most prominent female politicians visited Hatfield today (Tuesday), to speak to businessmen and women on a range of current issues. At a Hertfordshire Chamber of Commerce lunch, outspoken Tory MP Ann Widdecombe joined
ONE of the country's most prominent female politicians visited Hatfield today (Tuesday), to speak to businessmen and women on a range of current issues.
At a Hertfordshire Chamber of Commerce lunch, outspoken Tory MP Ann Widdecombe joined over 100 businesses from across the county at the Beales Hotel in Comet Way.
Her visit came less than 24 hours after she had lost the race to be the new Speaker of the Commons, the role going instead to fellow Conservative John Bercow.
The appointment of Mr Bercow had attracted criticism from some senior Conservative politicians, who believe him to have Labour sympathies, but Ms Widdecombe told the Welwyn & Hatfield Times that it was the job of MPs to support the new Speaker.
"He (John Bercow) was not my first choice, but the Commons has made its decision and it's now its our job to rally behind him," she said.
At the lunch, Ms Widdecombe answered questions on several topics, not least the recent outrage over MP's expenses.
- 1 Council to meet with Howard Centre and M&S over store closure
- 2 Free electric vehicle charging at new charging points
- 3 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 4 Fly-tipping on the rise as council determined to ‘eradicate the problem’
- 5 Controversial plans to build quarry in Hatfield scrapped
- 6 What is the future for The Howard Centre?
- 7 Man uses racist language in verbal attack
- 8 Face coverings no longer mandatory indoors as England returns to Plan A
- 9 Plans to build 80 new flats in Hatfield approved
- 10 New Welwyn Garden City cycling improvements to be simulated
Chamber chief executive Tim Hutchings said: "It's great to have somebody this high profile come to our lunch, not least someone who has such convictions, something we could do with more often.