‘Amazing’ turnout in Welwyn Hatfield
Early indications suggest around a 70 per cent turnout at the polls in Welwyn Hatfield.
Speaking to the Welwyn Hatfield Times at Campus West tonight (Thursday), returning officer Michel Saminaden said it had been “an amazing turnout” with people queuing outside of polling stations to cast their vote.
“It’s been an amazing day,” Mr Saminaden said. “There were lots of queues. There were a few angry people getting impatient with the wait but most people have been in good humour.
“The queues were the longest I have seen, and this is my fourth General Election. It’s really great to see so many people turning out – and so many young people too.”
Mr Saminaden said he thought the turnout was “almost certainly” in the 70 per cent region, with postal votes possibly in the 80s.
You may also want to watch:
“I think it must be (about 70 per cent),” Mr Saminaden said. “I certainly hope so. I hate predicting these things.”
- 1 'Welwyn will no longer have the right to call itself a garden city' - warning over development plans for Broadwater Road
- 2 Hollywood heads to Hertfordshire with £700m Sunset Studios film and TV development plans announced
- 3 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 4 9 things you didn’t know about the making of Band of Brothers
- 5 Free gift card when you park in Welwyn Garden City this summer
- 6 Roll up! Roll up! Hatfield goes to the circus!
- 7 8 filming locations of Netflix royal drama The Crown in Hertfordshire
- 8 Hollywood in Hertfordshire: 17 film stars and movie directors who have visited Welwyn Hatfield
- 9 Youngsters playing their part as Welwyn Garden City look to continue punching above their weight
- 10 Dangerous Welwyn Garden City domestic abuser who slashed ex-girlfriend's throat jailed