All three main party leaders up for election in Welwyn Hatfield
AS well as tonight’s election count, all three main party leaders are up for election at local level.
Tory leader John Dean, Labour’s Margaret Birleson and Lib Dem Tony Skottowe are all hoping to be returned to their respective seats on the borough council when the votes are counted later this afternoon (Friday).
Mr Skottowe, who is hoping to be relected in the Handside ward of WGC, said the race was going to be “tight”.
“It’s going to go down, to a great extent, on how the people who haven’t voted before have voted,” Mr Skottowe said.
“The turn out’s up, and it’s the undecided voters and the first time voters that are the uncertainty, and I think everybody’s feeling that situation.”
Mrs Birleson who has been a councillor in the Hollybush ward in WGC for 20 years, said: “It’s been a privilege to be a councillor for so long, and I hope continue. We’ll have to wait and see.”
Mr Dean, however, said he was very confident of retaining his seat in Brookmans Park.
- 1 Omicron variant: Confirmed case in Hertfordshire says health boss Jim McManus
- 2 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 3 Suspected stabbing in Welwyn Garden City
- 4 Closures lifted on A1(M) after emergency services deem road safe
- 5 A1(M) closed in both directions due to fallen cables
- 6 Purse stolen from 74-year-old woman
- 7 Meet the authors behind a new architecture book on Welwyn and Welwyn Garden City
- 8 Man injured while working in Hatfield Business Park
- 9 Where can you get a walk-in booster in Welwyn Hatfield this week?
- 10 When are Royal Mail's last posting dates for Christmas 2021?
“We’ve had a really encouraging response on the door step, which has made me very confident.
“I’m looking forward to the result tomorrow. It will be interesting to see if there’s a shift in who the main opposition party is.”