All three main party leaders up for election in Welwyn Hatfield
AS well as tonight’s election count, all three main party leaders are up for election at local level.
Tory leader John Dean, Labour’s Margaret Birleson and Lib Dem Tony Skottowe are all hoping to be returned to their respective seats on the borough council when the votes are counted later this afternoon (Friday).
Mr Skottowe, who is hoping to be relected in the Handside ward of WGC, said the race was going to be “tight”.
“It’s going to go down, to a great extent, on how the people who haven’t voted before have voted,” Mr Skottowe said.
“The turn out’s up, and it’s the undecided voters and the first time voters that are the uncertainty, and I think everybody’s feeling that situation.”
You may also want to watch:
Mrs Birleson who has been a councillor in the Hollybush ward in WGC for 20 years, said: “It’s been a privilege to be a councillor for so long, and I hope continue. We’ll have to wait and see.”
Mr Dean, however, said he was very confident of retaining his seat in Brookmans Park.
- 1 Students protest and parents call for change after 'lack of action' on racism
- 2 Do you have the unclaimed £1 million winning lottery ticket bought in Welwyn Hatfield?
- 3 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 4 Drugs worth £50,000 found in van pulled over for fly-tipping
- 5 Drop-in COVID vaccine sessions available this week
- 6 Student gets programming with Code Ninjas
- 7 Missing teen found safe and well
- 8 Travel business calls for Grant Shapps visit to ‘see what a travel agent is’
- 9 Full list of Welwyn Hatfield results for Local Elections 2021
- 10 5 venues and leisure attractions that can reopen from Monday, May 17
“We’ve had a really encouraging response on the door step, which has made me very confident.
“I’m looking forward to the result tomorrow. It will be interesting to see if there’s a shift in who the main opposition party is.”