All clear on ward that was closed for vomiting bug

PUBLISHED: 09:52 23 January 2008 | UPDATED: 22:18 26 October 2009

A WARD at the QE2 Hospital which had closed its doors due to the winter vomiting bug has reopened to new admissions. The 29-bed ward stopped taking in new patients on January 9 following several suspected cases of gastroenteritis caused by the Norovirus.

A WARD at the QE2 Hospital which had closed its doors due to the winter vomiting bug has reopened to new admissions.

The 29-bed ward stopped taking in new patients on January 9 following several suspected cases of gastroenteritis caused by the Norovirus.

The move was a precautionary measure to prevent the infection spreading elsewhere in the hospital.

Last Wednesday a hospital spokesman told the WHT everything was back to normal at the ward.

Noel Scanlon, director of infection prevention and control at the East and North Herts NHS Trust, had earlier said new patients would not be admitted until 48 hours after the last confirmed patient had recovered from the infection.

l Norovirus is a common virus that causes infections which are most prevalent at this time of year.

Typically they cause severe vomiting and diarrhoea for a short period, usually over one to two days.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Welwyn Hatfield Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Welwyn Hatfield Times