A birthday song for Welwyn Garden City
AN ode to WGC has been penned to celebrate the town’s 90th anniversary.
The unique piece was written by musician and Garden City resident Veryan Weston – and inspired by an epic journey to Austria earlier this year to perform at a music festival.
Indeed, the choir he played with in Graz is heading to WGC to perform the song – and Veryan is putting a call out to his fellow residents to join in the fun and take part, too.
The Meadway resident said: “We want to try and mix as many different races, genders, ages, abilities, religions, cultures, believers and non-believers together.
“We want the town to be seen as a rainbow of all different kinds of people.
You may also want to watch:
“By singing in this event you will be representing a very valuable part of the town.”
The concert, which will also feature American pianist Leo Svirsky, will take place on Saturday, September 4 at 8pm at St Francis Church in Church Road, WGC.
- 1 Dangerous Welwyn Garden City domestic abuser who slashed ex-girlfriend's throat jailed
- 2 Safety check and risk assessment failings for hundreds of Welwyn Hatfield council houses
- 3 When is Team GB cycling star Laura Kenny in action at Tokyo 2020 Olympics?
- 4 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 5 9 things you didn’t know about the making of Band of Brothers
- 6 Community reacts to closure of overnight Urgent Care Centre service at New QEII Hospital
- 7 Water safety advice issued following lake drowning
- 8 New report reveals 28 Covid deaths at Hatfield care home
- 9 Henry Moore Foundation in Hertfordshire appears in new Fake or Fortune? series on BBC One
- 10 Man drowns in Stanborough Lakes
There’s free entry for all participants – otherwise it’s �8 for adults and �5 for concessions.
The Song for Welwyn Garden project has been part-funded by the borough and county councils, and the Arts Council for England.
Borough councillor Tony Kingsbury, executive member for leisure and community, said: “A song for WGC really gives the town a memorable legacy to treasure and signify the 90th year of our inspirational town.”
To complement the concert, members of the Vociferous Choir will also be running workshops for Welwyn Hatfield residents to come along and sing.
Veryan, who turns 60 the day before the concert, added: “The workshops will encourage people of any age and ability to use their voice in different ways.
“Everybody with a spirit of adventure is invited!”
The workshops take place next Thursday, September 2 at the Number 1 Community Resource Centre in Hatfield town cente, and at Woodhall Community Centre in Mill Green Road, WGC, on Saturday, September 4.
Both sessions start at 2.30pm.
To book or take part in the concert or workshops, call 01707 692420.
* To read more on Veryan’s epic journey to Graz, buy this week’s Welwyn Hatfield Times, out now.