A gang member has denied kidnapping a Chinese businessman from Hertfordshire golf course, before allegedly keeping him in a cage.

Tianfu Guo denied conspiracy to kidnap, conspiracy to blackmail and possession of an imitation firearm with intent to cause fear of violence, during an appearance at St Albans Crown Court today (April 8).

On October 24 last year, the victim, a man in his 30s, was playing golf with his PA and two other women at Brocket Hall in Welwyn Garden City, when five men rushed towards him.

The court heard a gun was pointed at him, he was hit in the face and eyes before being forced into the back of a black Audi Q7, which fled the scene.

"When he kicked at the door of the car he was told he would be killed with a knife," Prosecutor Russell Pyne told the jury of six men and six women. 

"He was put into the footwell of the car and three of his captors had their feet on him. A cover was put over his head. During the journey cuffs were applied to his hands and legs."

The court heard that he was taken to a property near Guildford in Surrey, where was blindfolded and tape was put over his mouth. He was then placed in a cage, and although he was given food, he was not allowed out to use the lavatory.

"They wanted to be paid in $15 million in bitcoin," added Prosecutor Pyne. 

"He said he had stock and shares but they could not be accessed straight away. He spoke to his wife on phone and had conversation with three of his friends for loans."

The 30-hour ordeal ended when he was driven off in a car and released in a remote area near the Silvermere Golf Course in Cobham, Surrey.

The victim then knocked on the door of a man who he paid £100 to book him an Uber to his home in Mill Hill, North London.

The court also heard that six other suspects were "believed to all be back in China", but Guo was arrested in Chinatown, London, an hour before the victim's release.

In police interviews Guo said he had nothing to do with the kidnap.

The opening of the case continues tomorrow.