2,000 more jobs lost at First Quench
NEARLY 2,000 more jobs will be lost after administrators for ailing drinks firm First Quench Retailing announced another round of redundancies.
A further 381 stores – including Wine Rack in Welwyn High Street – will close, resulting in 1,908 posts going. The Local in Cole Green Lane, WGC, has avoided the latest cull.
A further 35 people at First Quench’s headquarters in Bessemer Road, WGC, have today (Friday) been made redundant.
Richard Fleming, UK head of restructuring for administrators KPMG, said: “We are now in advanced talks regarding the sale of the business with a number of interested parties and have ascertained that parts of the portfolio, consisting of just over 500 stores, are of interest to these potential purchasers.
“These stores will continue to trade while we progress with our negotiations.
You may also want to watch:
“Unfortunately there has not been sufficient interest in these 381 stores as part of the going concern sale, so we have no option but to close them.
“However, we have had an enormous amount of interest in these sites from over 700 small local businesses and private individuals.”
- 1 'Confusion of legal status' sees public path fenced off
- 2 Have you seen this wanted man?
- 3 'We must act now' - villagers in renewed fight to save pub
- 4 Drug dealer sentenced to more than five years in prison
- 5 Man found with head injuries following assault
- 6 Local council elections: Don't know who to vote for? See what the candidates in your area have to say
- 7 Fundraiser bakes 100 cookies to support NHS and carers as part of Captain Tom challenge
- 8 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 9 Michael Portillo's Great British Railway Journeys on BBC Two visits Hertfordshire this week
- 10 Drug trafficker guilty of 'cruel and tragic' Cameron Hill murder
Depending on stock levels, the 381 stores across brands Threshers, Wine Rack, The Local, Haddows, Bottoms Up and Victoria Wine, are due to close by December 16.
Stock liquidation sales will start next week.