2,000 balloons to be burst at annual Abbey Easter pilgrimage
TWO thousand balloons will be burst during this year s Easter Monday Pilgrimage at St Albans Abbey to symbolise the resurrection. The annual event is usually attended by more than 1,000 people, including pilgrims from Times Territory.People can gather fr
TWO thousand balloons will be burst during this year's Easter Monday Pilgrimage at St Albans Abbey to symbolise the resurrection.
The annual event is usually attended by more than 1,000 people, including pilgrims from Times Territory.
People can gather from 1pm at the Abbey Orchard and the procession into the Abbey will start at 2.30pm before the service begins at 3pm.
Last year snow fell on the day of the pilgrimage, leaving people congregating inside the Abbey instead of enjoying picnics and activities in the park.
Sub-Dean Canon Stephen Lake, who is hoping for better weather this year, said: "It's a very energetic way to celebrate Easter."
He added: "The theme this year is 'Bursting with Life' so there are going to be 2,000 balloons burst at the end of the service to symbolise Jesus' break from the tomb.
- 1 Shoppers predict ‘demise’ of Welwyn Garden City town centre after store closures announced
- 2 Axes and knives found during weapons raid
- 3 Work begins on Welwyn Garden City’s new-look Anniversary Gardens
- 4 Buyers can now reserve an apartment in Hatfield Rise
- 5 Time-lapse video: Nightingale surge hub build at Lister Hospital
- 6 Cash stolen from elderly man using bank ATM
- 7 Cancer nurse's warning over drop in cervical screening
- 8 Amazon parcels stolen in doorstep theft in Potters Bar
- 9 Grant Shapps reveals ‘anger’ over ‘unacceptable’ Downing Street parties
- 10 Marks & Spencer confirm Welwyn Garden City store closure