2,000 balloons to be burst at annual Abbey Easter pilgrimage
TWO thousand balloons will be burst during this year s Easter Monday Pilgrimage at St Albans Abbey to symbolise the resurrection. The annual event is usually attended by more than 1,000 people, including pilgrims from Times Territory.People can gather fr
TWO thousand balloons will be burst during this year's Easter Monday Pilgrimage at St Albans Abbey to symbolise the resurrection.
The annual event is usually attended by more than 1,000 people, including pilgrims from Times Territory.
People can gather from 1pm at the Abbey Orchard and the procession into the Abbey will start at 2.30pm before the service begins at 3pm.
Last year snow fell on the day of the pilgrimage, leaving people congregating inside the Abbey instead of enjoying picnics and activities in the park.
You may also want to watch:
Sub-Dean Canon Stephen Lake, who is hoping for better weather this year, said: "It's a very energetic way to celebrate Easter."
He added: "The theme this year is 'Bursting with Life' so there are going to be 2,000 balloons burst at the end of the service to symbolise Jesus' break from the tomb.
- 1 COVID-19: Welwyn Hatfield tops Hertfordshire for cases per 100,000
- 2 Mum-of-four loses six stone in just over a year after being unable to play with her youngest child
- 3 Coroner rules Joy Morgan death 'unlawful killing' but finds no cause at inquest
- 4 More than 20 arrested following major Welwyn Hatfield county lines drugs operation
- 5 Man sentenced to three years in prison for breaking girlfriend's jaw
- 6 COVID-19 outbreaks now in half of all Herts care homes
- 7 Closing the New QEII at night permanently still to be considered
- 8 'Horrific' abuser who 'showed no remorse' sentenced
- 9 Former Spitfire and Hurricane engineer celebrates 100th birthday
- 10 Apply for planning permission or move skips and machinery, company told