Rail passengers rescued after station roof drama

PUBLISHED: 17:49 27 February 2012

Passengers were led along the track between Knebworth and Stevenage. Photo by Joanne Collins sent in via www.iwitness24.co.uk

Passengers were led along the track between Knebworth and Stevenage. Photo by Joanne Collins sent in via www.iwitness24.co.uk

(c) copyright citizenside.com

STRANDED train passengers were forced to wait for over three hours in darkness before being evacuated onto the track after a man climbed on to a railway station roof in the early hours of Sunday.

First Capital Connect (FCC) cut electricity to the overhead power lines in response to a 999 call about the man, at Stevenage, shortly after 12.30am.

Two trains were left stranded in the Langley junction area north of Knebworth, while others were brought to a halt at Welwyn Garden City, Hitchin and Hertford North stations.

With police and ambulance crews on the scene, the man was eventually brought to safety after three hours of negotiations.

He was unhurt.

Passengers in the trains north of Knebworth were stuck for around three-and-a-half hours before British Transport Police and FCC engineers helped them to safety along the track and to waiting busses to continue their journeys.

Joanne Collins who was on the 12.06am train from King’s Cross to Cambridge, which was stranded north of Knebworth.

The 33-year-old said: “We were all sat in total darkness not knowing how long we would be there.

“A couple of drunk men managed to get the doors open and they escaped on to the track.

“The rest of us sat there until around 3am when we were rescued by police and train personnel.”

She said: “We had to climb down a ladder off the train and onto the tracks. Police and train personnel ensured we walked in a single file between the tracks along the gravel for a few minutes until we reached a set of very steep steps we could climb down.

“Eventually we reached the road where coaches were waiting to take us to the intended stops.”

A FCC spokesman said it was a very difficult situation which they had to deal with in the best way possible to ensure the safety of passengers.

* A 19-year-old Stevenage man was cautioned for trespassing and obstruction without intent.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Welwyn Hatfield Times. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Welwyn Hatfield Times