Youth club has so much to offer
SIR – I am a 15-year-old teenager from Hatfield who reads this paper every week. I always have a quick glance at the letters to see, what other people of Hatfield have on their minds. But they always seem to be complaining. I m writing this letter to info
SIR - I am a 15-year-old teenager from Hatfield who reads this paper every week. I always have a quick glance at the letters to see, what other people of Hatfield have on their minds.
But they always seem to be complaining. I'm writing this letter to inform you of St John's Youth Club, and to actually say well done to Hatfield's community.
I have only just started volunteering there, and it's great. It happens every Thursday and is run purely by nine volunteers, who give up their Thursday nights to put on a disco for eight-to-13 year-olds.
The club offers a place for children to meet with their friends, dance to the latest songs, play on an air hockey machine, a football table and also have a game of pool and snooker. The club also offers a tuck shop and dance floor games.
You may also want to watch:
I spent most of my childhood years going to the youth club every Thursday, and made a lot of friends which I ended up going to secondary school with.
I went every week and always wanted it to stay open longer then it did. I have grown up with the youth centre, and now I actually get to work there. If I was to look back I would have never thought I would have been the person serving sweets in the tuck shop.
- 1 ‘It’s been a great day!’ - Businesses and customers delight as shops, hairdressers and pubs reopen
- 2 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 3 Mass participation 10K test event in Hatfield Park postponed and new venue being sought
- 4 Clinic launched at sports village to help 'long COVID' sufferers
- 5 Residents urged to comment on Wheat Quarter proposals
- 6 Care home resident celebrates 102nd birthday
- 7 'Dangerous' man imprisoned for sexual assault in Hatfield
- 8 Michael Bublé's Hatfield concert postponed until July 2022
- 9 Shoppers encouraged to stay safe as lockdown eases
- 10 Brookmans Park pub celebrates welcoming back visitors on April 12
I love working there and can't wait to see all their faces looking up at me, always smiling and joking, while I count out sweets.
The youth club would not be what it is today without the people who work there. They don't just stay the hour and a half of the actual disco, they get there early and set up and after it's finished clean the hall.
If it weren't for those nine volunteers, a lot of kids in Hatfield would have nowhere to go. So this isn't a letter of complaint, it's a letter of congratulations and thanks to the volunteers of St John's Youth Club.
Sherrie Hale, Hillcrest, Hatfield.