Youth club has so much to offer
SIR – I am a 15-year-old teenager from Hatfield who reads this paper every week. I always have a quick glance at the letters to see, what other people of Hatfield have on their minds. But they always seem to be complaining. I m writing this letter to info
SIR - I am a 15-year-old teenager from Hatfield who reads this paper every week. I always have a quick glance at the letters to see, what other people of Hatfield have on their minds.
But they always seem to be complaining. I'm writing this letter to inform you of St John's Youth Club, and to actually say well done to Hatfield's community.
I have only just started volunteering there, and it's great. It happens every Thursday and is run purely by nine volunteers, who give up their Thursday nights to put on a disco for eight-to-13 year-olds.
The club offers a place for children to meet with their friends, dance to the latest songs, play on an air hockey machine, a football table and also have a game of pool and snooker. The club also offers a tuck shop and dance floor games.
You may also want to watch:
I spent most of my childhood years going to the youth club every Thursday, and made a lot of friends which I ended up going to secondary school with.
I went every week and always wanted it to stay open longer then it did. I have grown up with the youth centre, and now I actually get to work there. If I was to look back I would have never thought I would have been the person serving sweets in the tuck shop.
- 1 Tenant's despair over bill for council tax on mouldy flat
- 2 Rumoured Halifax closure would leave Hatfield with no banks
- 3 Audi and jewellery worth £70K stolen in Hatfield burglary
- 4 Fireworks displays in Hertfordshire for Bonfire Night 2021
- 5 Filming taking place at The Galleria shopping centre in Hatfield
- 6 When do the clocks go back in 2021 and British Summer Time ends?
- 7 Sky Studios Elstree starts recruitment drive ahead of planned 2022 opening
- 8 5 films and TV series shot on location at The Galleria shopping centre in Hatfield
- 9 Where in Hertfordshire are the most incidents of weapon possession?
- 10 Congratulations! See Sir Cliff Richard's The Great 80 Tour live in cinemas
I love working there and can't wait to see all their faces looking up at me, always smiling and joking, while I count out sweets.
The youth club would not be what it is today without the people who work there. They don't just stay the hour and a half of the actual disco, they get there early and set up and after it's finished clean the hall.
If it weren't for those nine volunteers, a lot of kids in Hatfield would have nowhere to go. So this isn't a letter of complaint, it's a letter of congratulations and thanks to the volunteers of St John's Youth Club.
Sherrie Hale, Hillcrest, Hatfield.