Young are keen on swimming
SIR – It is good that your 20 year-old correspondent is providing ideas for what youth of the Borough might want (letters, October 8). However, in providing ideas he needs to know the facts. Firstly, contrary to his statement that the pool at the
SIR - It is good that your "20 year-old" correspondent is providing ideas for what youth of the Borough might want (letters, October 8).
However, in providing ideas he needs to know the facts. Firstly, contrary to his statement that the pool at the Hatfield Town Centre "does nothing to keep youth occupied", there are, for example, over 200 youth members of Hatfield Swimming Club and 40 at Beaumont Diving Academy.
Indeed, page 58 of the same edition of the WHT had an article on how Hatfield swimmers were to participate in the Commonwealth Youth games - with many more articles over the year celebrating their successes.
Furthermore, the borough's youth were asked last year what they would like and "semi-sporty" girls ranked swimming as third out of 20 of the activities that they'd like provided.
So, it's great we are having discussion and ideas but it really helps if statements are checked for validity first.
David Bartlett, Chairman, Welwyn Hatfield Sports and Physical Activity Alliance.
- 1 Shoppers predict ‘demise’ of Welwyn Garden City town centre after store closures announced
- 2 Axes and knives found during weapons raid
- 3 Work begins on Welwyn Garden City’s new-look Anniversary Gardens
- 4 Buyers can now reserve an apartment in Hatfield Rise
- 5 Time-lapse video: Nightingale surge hub build at Lister Hospital
- 6 Cash stolen from elderly man using bank ATM
- 7 Cancer nurse's warning over drop in cervical screening
- 8 Amazon parcels stolen in doorstep theft in Potters Bar
- 9 Grant Shapps reveals ‘anger’ over ‘unacceptable’ Downing Street parties
- 10 Marks & Spencer confirm Welwyn Garden City store closure