Young are keen on swimming
SIR – It is good that your 20 year-old correspondent is providing ideas for what youth of the Borough might want (letters, October 8). However, in providing ideas he needs to know the facts. Firstly, contrary to his statement that the pool at the
SIR - It is good that your "20 year-old" correspondent is providing ideas for what youth of the Borough might want (letters, October 8).
However, in providing ideas he needs to know the facts. Firstly, contrary to his statement that the pool at the Hatfield Town Centre "does nothing to keep youth occupied", there are, for example, over 200 youth members of Hatfield Swimming Club and 40 at Beaumont Diving Academy.
Indeed, page 58 of the same edition of the WHT had an article on how Hatfield swimmers were to participate in the Commonwealth Youth games - with many more articles over the year celebrating their successes.
Furthermore, the borough's youth were asked last year what they would like and "semi-sporty" girls ranked swimming as third out of 20 of the activities that they'd like provided.
You may also want to watch:
So, it's great we are having discussion and ideas but it really helps if statements are checked for validity first.
David Bartlett, Chairman, Welwyn Hatfield Sports and Physical Activity Alliance.
- 1 Keep on the grass - sign telling people to stay off land taped over
- 2 June 21: Will Step 4 lifting of coronavirus restrictions be delayed until July?
- 3 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 4 Welwyn Garden City Hockey Club pushing for more girls to play in centenary season
- 5 Save Symondshyde still waiting for inspector's report
- 6 Woody & Kleiny release Euros single Route 66 with The Hoosiers for charity CALM
- 7 Welwyn continue meteoric rise up the table as Owais Shah takes centre stage again
- 8 Heroic dogs win Royal Veterinary College award
- 9 'This doesn’t make much sense' - MPs react to proposed boundary changes
- 10 Brookmans Park Golf Club delighted with all aspects of a great club championship day