Why only one arrest?
SIR – I witnessed some of the events described in your back page article in the WHT of February 13 ( Travellers Run Riot on A414 ). I must confess that for a cyclist like me the events probably made this accident blackspot safer, although the insanity of
SIR - I witnessed some of the events described in your back page article in the WHT of February 13 ('Travellers Run Riot on A414').
I must confess that for a cyclist like me the events probably made this accident blackspot safer, although the insanity of political correctness has gone so far in this country I assumed the police that we pay for were assisting the itinerant community in their cultural activities.
However, two questions arise.
One, according to your report the following offences were alleged to have occurred; obstructing the highway, illegal racing, cruelty to animals, damaging a police car, indecent exposure and travelling in a vehicle without the correct passenger restraints. If this is so, why was only one person arrested?
Secondly, it was stated that, "all involved disappeared into the Holwell site to evade capture". Is this area a foreign country beyond English law and jurisdiction? If so, perhaps the recent plans detailed in the WHT to increase the number of travellers pitches in Welwyn Hatfield need reviewing.
Finally, I am not totally opposed to pony and trap racing on the roads of Britain; but surely it should take place at about 5.30am on a Sunday morning just like lots of cycle races and time-trials.
- 1 'Garden thieves' caught on camera in Welwyn
- 2 TfL removes over 100 London buses after EV blaze in Potters Bar
- 3 Mother and daughter from WGC team up to offer food packages to struggling locals
- 4 Toyota drove ‘erratically’ during suspected drug-fuelled trip in Hatfield
- 5 Council confirms first monkeypox case in Hertfordshire
- 6 Welwyn Garden City school earns prestigious development award
- 7 Spectacular Grade II listed home near Hatfield on the market for £3m
- 8 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 9 Herts man charged with alleged attempted robbery at village Co-op
- 10 The Crossrail connections to Hertfordshire which were never built
Name and address supplied.