Why only one arrest?
SIR – I witnessed some of the events described in your back page article in the WHT of February 13 ( Travellers Run Riot on A414 ). I must confess that for a cyclist like me the events probably made this accident blackspot safer, although the insanity of
SIR - I witnessed some of the events described in your back page article in the WHT of February 13 ('Travellers Run Riot on A414').
I must confess that for a cyclist like me the events probably made this accident blackspot safer, although the insanity of political correctness has gone so far in this country I assumed the police that we pay for were assisting the itinerant community in their cultural activities.
However, two questions arise.
One, according to your report the following offences were alleged to have occurred; obstructing the highway, illegal racing, cruelty to animals, damaging a police car, indecent exposure and travelling in a vehicle without the correct passenger restraints. If this is so, why was only one person arrested?
You may also want to watch:
Secondly, it was stated that, "all involved disappeared into the Holwell site to evade capture". Is this area a foreign country beyond English law and jurisdiction? If so, perhaps the recent plans detailed in the WHT to increase the number of travellers pitches in Welwyn Hatfield need reviewing.
Finally, I am not totally opposed to pony and trap racing on the roads of Britain; but surely it should take place at about 5.30am on a Sunday morning just like lots of cycle races and time-trials.
- 1 John Lewis to reopen Welwyn Garden City store on April 12
- 2 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 3 RSPCA appeal to help seriously injured 'miracle cat' Trudie after she's hit by a bus
- 4 Which pubs are reopening in Welwyn and Hatfield on April 12?
- 5 'Dangerous' man imprisoned for sexual assault in Hatfield
- 6 Second major film and TV studios plan revealed for site near Sky Studios Elstree
- 7 Residents urged to comment on Wheat Quarter proposals
- 8 Where has the Duke of Edinburgh visited in Hertfordshire?
- 9 Isabel Hospice 'excited' to reopen charity shops on April 12
- 10 Michael Bublé's Hatfield concert postponed until July 2022
Name and address supplied.