Why only one arrest?
SIR – I witnessed some of the events described in your back page article in the WHT of February 13 ( Travellers Run Riot on A414 ). I must confess that for a cyclist like me the events probably made this accident blackspot safer, although the insanity of
SIR - I witnessed some of the events described in your back page article in the WHT of February 13 ('Travellers Run Riot on A414').
I must confess that for a cyclist like me the events probably made this accident blackspot safer, although the insanity of political correctness has gone so far in this country I assumed the police that we pay for were assisting the itinerant community in their cultural activities.
However, two questions arise.
One, according to your report the following offences were alleged to have occurred; obstructing the highway, illegal racing, cruelty to animals, damaging a police car, indecent exposure and travelling in a vehicle without the correct passenger restraints. If this is so, why was only one person arrested?
You may also want to watch:
Secondly, it was stated that, "all involved disappeared into the Holwell site to evade capture". Is this area a foreign country beyond English law and jurisdiction? If so, perhaps the recent plans detailed in the WHT to increase the number of travellers pitches in Welwyn Hatfield need reviewing.
Finally, I am not totally opposed to pony and trap racing on the roads of Britain; but surely it should take place at about 5.30am on a Sunday morning just like lots of cycle races and time-trials.
- 1 'Welwyn will no longer have the right to call itself a garden city' - warning over development plans for Broadwater Road
- 2 Lack of confidence in Welwyn Hatfield council following housing safety scandal
- 3 Hollywood heads to Hertfordshire with £700m Sunset Studios film and TV development plans announced
- 4 Welwyn Garden City's Jodie Williams eases into Olympic 400m semi-final
- 5 Herts Council has 'pattern of mishandling children's services complaints'
- 6 Hollywood in Hertfordshire: 17 film stars and movie directors who have visited Welwyn Hatfield
- 7 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 8 Potters Bar Town delighted with successful return of beer and music festival
- 9 It's coming home! Welwyn Garden City's Commemoration Jug claimed by Reis Suart
- 10 Jodie Williams gunning for gold after barrier-breaking personal best at Tokyo 2020 Olympics
Name and address supplied.