Why bother with planning rules?
SIR – I read with interest your article Street full of charity shops and banks! (Potters Bar Edition, April 23) and agree with you. I have been appalled that recently a freeholder in Darkes Lane who asked, and actually paid a large sum of money to move
SIR - I read with interest your article "Street full of charity shops and banks!" (Potters Bar Edition, April 23) and agree with you.
I have been appalled that recently a freeholder in Darkes Lane who asked, and actually paid a large sum of money to move, a long standing A1 tenant to move a few doors away in Darkes Lane.
But once the tenant moved out he had trouble letting this shop and decided that the best way forward would be to apply for office use, A2, on this unit as he had an estate agent who wanted the unit.
The reason they gave to the planning department was that they could not let this unit to A1 - ordinary shop-use - since the last tenant moved out.
You may also want to watch:
This was turned down by planning as it contravened planning rules, more than two A2 units in a run of six. About eight months later they applied again giving the same reason, planning turned it down yet again as there were two empty A2 units either side of this.
But it was taken to appeal. The secretary of state decided that although it might contravene planning they did not feel that there are too many A2 units in Darkes Lane. Now there are five out of 10!
- 1 Hollywood heads to Hertfordshire with £700m Sunset Studios film and TV development plans announced
- 2 Free gift card when you park in Welwyn Garden City this summer
- 3 9 things you didn’t know about the making of Band of Brothers
- 4 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 5 Support for Bukayo Saka continues as youth football team delivers shirt to England's Euro 2020 star
- 6 Roll up! Roll up! Hatfield goes to the circus!
- 7 From Hertfordshire to the Strictly dancefloor: 7 Strictly Come Dancing contestant from the county
- 8 Do you remember when Grange Hill was filmed in Hatfield?
- 9 Dangerous Welwyn Garden City domestic abuser who slashed ex-girlfriend's throat jailed
- 10 When is Team GB cycling star Laura Kenny in action at Tokyo 2020 Olympics?
It seems the Government say they want to help local shopping areas but here we find they are overruling local planning.
What is the point of having local planning laws if the secretary of state does what they want.
Andrew Ancell, director, Hobdays Estates, Darkes Lane Potters Bar.