Why all these empty properties in Welwyn Hatfield?
SIR – I write in response MP Shapps latest attempt at headline grabbing. I refer to The Empty Property Rescue Scheme , WHT, March 4. Before he rolls out a national campaign let him look a lot closer to home. A couple of years ago I was with a friend
SIR - I write in response MP Shapps' latest attempt at headline grabbing. I refer to 'The Empty Property Rescue Scheme', WHT, March 4.
Before he rolls out a national campaign let him look a lot closer to home.
A couple of years ago I was with a friend who was discussing housing with Mr Shapps. My friend pointed out that our council had emptied Ley House, Long Ley, Panshanger, over a period of at least 15 years and 32 modern (late 70s) flats were, and still are, empty!
My mother's flat has been empty for nearly 10 years; all that's left in the building are a few items left by former residents.
You may also want to watch:
Besides being an appaling disservice to the local homeless, the loss to the community of rent and rates at even a modest �50 a week is in the order of �800,000.
Come on Mr Shapps, you look and talk well, let's see some action. Get past the stone-walling of the council. Others in the area may know of similar mis-use of community assets. They are not the council's property to neglect but to manage!
- 1 Headteacher 'very proud' of 'healthy and balanced' free school meal hampers
- 2 When Spielberg and Tom Hanks came to Hatfield for filming
- 3 Is lockdown working in Herts? Here's what the latest data tells us
- 4 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 5 Police appeal for public information after puppy found dead on A414
- 6 Party organiser fined £10,000 after 150 people attend gathering
- 7 Scammer pretending to be a police officer stole thousands from 99-year-old man
- 8 'Heavy snow' expected across Hertfordshire from tomorrow
- 9 GP practice vaccinated 1,000 people in first week
- 10 Two people rescued after flood warnings issued
George Munn, Sloansway, WGC.