Why all these empty properties in Welwyn Hatfield?
SIR – I write in response MP Shapps latest attempt at headline grabbing. I refer to The Empty Property Rescue Scheme , WHT, March 4. Before he rolls out a national campaign let him look a lot closer to home. A couple of years ago I was with a friend
SIR - I write in response MP Shapps' latest attempt at headline grabbing. I refer to 'The Empty Property Rescue Scheme', WHT, March 4.
Before he rolls out a national campaign let him look a lot closer to home.
A couple of years ago I was with a friend who was discussing housing with Mr Shapps. My friend pointed out that our council had emptied Ley House, Long Ley, Panshanger, over a period of at least 15 years and 32 modern (late 70s) flats were, and still are, empty!
My mother's flat has been empty for nearly 10 years; all that's left in the building are a few items left by former residents.
Besides being an appaling disservice to the local homeless, the loss to the community of rent and rates at even a modest �50 a week is in the order of �800,000.
Come on Mr Shapps, you look and talk well, let's see some action. Get past the stone-walling of the council. Others in the area may know of similar mis-use of community assets. They are not the council's property to neglect but to manage!
- 1 Remembering WGC stalwart Robert Robinson
- 2 Nottingham man wanted in connection with Welwyn Garden City offences
- 3 VOTE: Which is your favourite chip shop in all of Hertfordshire?
- 4 7 great places to get a bottomless brunch in Hertfordshire
- 5 Man 'broke in and tried to steal car' in Potters Bar
- 6 Rent this Welwyn townhouse with River Mimram views for £2,400pcm
- 7 Ariana Grande and Cynthia Erivo’s Wicked movies to be filmed at new Sky Studios Elstree in Hertfordshire
- 8 Noel Tovey named as managing director at Sky Studios Elstree and first production announced as Wicked
- 9 Grade II Hatfield hotel refurbishment continues
- 10 Jobs created as new entertainment centre opens in Hatfield
George Munn, Sloansway, WGC.