What new GP health centre at the QE2 will offer
SIR – Over the last couple of months, much has been written about GP-health centres and polyclinics. At recent meetings with community groups including the health working group chaired by Welwyn Hatfield Council, we have been asked to spell out what is be
SIR - Over the last couple of months, much has been written about GP-health centres and polyclinics. At recent meetings with community groups including the health working group chaired by Welwyn Hatfield Council, we have been asked to spell out what is being planned locally and to reassure people that there is no threat to existing local practices.
In spring 2009, a GP-led health centre will open on the QE2 hospital site. It will offer:
'Walk-in' appointments to see a doctor or nurse between 8am and 8pm, seven days a week, 365 days a year
Healthcare services without the need to register
The choice to register with the health centre and make advance appointments if preferred
The centre is in addition to existing GP practices in the area and no practice will close as a result of the health centre.
- 1 Hertfordshire zoo Paradise Wildlife Park to temporarily close to the public in January
- 2 Man in stable condition following Hatfield stabbing
- 3 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 4 Here's what we know so far about the new Covid variant
- 5 Concerns raised over structural integrity of Shredded Wheat factory building
- 6 15 adorable rescue pets in Hertfordshire looking for loving new homes this Christmas
- 7 How Hertfordshire’s coronavirus figures compare to last year's lockdown
- 8 Sir Elton John to play two Hertfordshire shows at Watford FC's Vicarage Road ground in 2022
- 9 Fire at University of Hertfordshire destroys kitchen
- 10 Motorcyclist "seriously" injured after car crash in Welwyn Garden City
East and North Hertfordshire Primary Care Trust has the responsibility of making the GP-led health centre a reality and has asked potential providers to put forward proposals to develop and run it.
The new GP-led health centre will be an important part of the redevelopment of the QE2 Hospital. We very much welcome the involvement of the Health Working Group in influencing and shaping services locally.
Gareth Jones, director of strategic planning, Hertfordshire PCTs.