Welwyn Hatfield schools are not poor
SIR – There has been some recent scaremongering regarding the standard of education offered by secondary schools in Welwyn Hatfield, which I believe was done for political reasons and may have created some worry for parents of children at our schools.
SIR - There has been some recent scaremongering regarding the standard of education offered by secondary schools in Welwyn Hatfield, which I believe was done for political reasons and may have created some worry for parents of children at our schools.
One of the key accusations made was that our schools get poor results.
This is inaccurate, unfair to the schools and their staff and needs to be confronted. Those political operatives who have put this about should think twice about treating schools as a political football.
The schools in Hertfordshire are among the best in the country.
There are no selective schools or grammar schools in this area and this explains why the overall percentage of grades achieved in the towns appears to be lower statistically than in other towns in Hertfordshire.
However, standards are good and improving, thanks partly to significant support and investment by Herts County Council, but mainly through the hard work and dedication of the schools' staff. Staff are experts at assessing the strengths and weaknesses of their schools and students and targeted help is given where needed.
- 1 Head injury follows taxi assault in Potters Bar
- 2 Hatfield tenant upset over housing issue that has yet to be rectified after a year
- 3 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 4 7 of the most beautiful churches in Hertfordshire
- 5 Officers to tackle Potters Bar Nitrous Oxide sales as part of policing priorities
- 6 Hertfordshire County Council will fund free summer activity camps for children in the Welwyn Hatfield area
- 7 Welwyn Hatfield couple demand change to stillborn definition
- 8 Homes selling fast at sought-after Welwyn Garden City development
- 9 Concerns raised over ‘grotesque’ 5G mast plans ruining iconic WGC view
- 10 Vandals trash toilet on WGC train
The headline figures mask the splendid achievements of many of our youngsters who achieve the top grades. But let's remember, schools are not just about academic results. They should be developing well-rounded individuals who are able to make the best of opportunities that become available to them as adults.
I believe our schools are among the best at doing just that.
To see any political figures making hay of this for political purposes is very regrettable and I hope the political party involved will think again before repeating its irresponsible scaremongering. It does no credit to the children, parents and staff concerned and certainly will not help the electoral hopes of those casting such aspersions.
Conservative county councillor for Hatfield North.