Well done to soldier who picked up rubbish
SIR – What a lovely surprise when walking the footpath behind Monk s Walk School, WGC, recently to see a young man clearing the rubbish from the hedgerow that borders the school playing field. When my wife approached him and asked if he was a pupil on
SIR - What a lovely surprise when walking the footpath behind Monk's Walk School, WGC, recently to see a young man clearing the rubbish from the hedgerow that borders the school playing field.
When my wife approached him and asked if he was a pupil on detention duties, he replied that, in fact, he was a soldier in the British Army home on leave from Afghanistan.
He had collected 15 bags of rubbish, crisp bags, piles of paper and packaging.
So, here is a man on leave from the most dangerous place on earth, making sure our town is clean and tidy.
You may also want to watch:
I hope the pupils and staff of the school feel very ashamed of the mess they have left there over the years and that they appreciate the work done by this brave soldier.
Proof surely, that the patriotism and discipline instilled in him by his parents and the army has made him a far better man. Well done sir!
- 1 'Welwyn will no longer have the right to call itself a garden city' - warning over development plans for Broadwater Road
- 2 Hollywood heads to Hertfordshire with £700m Sunset Studios film and TV development plans announced
- 3 Lack of confidence in Welwyn Hatfield council following housing safety scandal
- 4 Welwyn Garden City's Jodie Williams eases into Olympic 400m semi-final
- 5 Hollywood in Hertfordshire: 17 film stars and movie directors who have visited Welwyn Hatfield
- 6 Herts Council has 'pattern of mishandling children's services complaints'
- 7 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 8 Potters Bar Town delighted with successful return of beer and music festival
- 9 It's coming home! Welwyn Garden City's Commemoration Jug claimed by Reis Suart
- 10 Jodie Williams gunning for gold after barrier-breaking personal best at Tokyo 2020 Olympics
Bob Twigg, Harwood Close, WGC.