We have campaigned against an incinerator for ages
SIR - I read with amazement the comments from the Conservative county councillor Stuart Pile in last week s Welwyn & Hatfield Times. Can he really believe his own words, that the Lib Dems have only recently said anything about the Conservative plans for
SIR - I read with amazement the comments from the Conservative county councillor Stuart Pile in last week's Welwyn & Hatfield Times.
Can he really believe his own words, that the Lib Dems have only recently said anything about the Conservative plans for an incinerator at New Barnfield?
I was the candidate for the Lib Dems in the by-election in Welham Green in January 2008. A keystone of my campaign then was this very issue.
The earliest press release we did was in November 2007 as I recall, which the Hatfield south councillor responded to by declaring he might have to vote for the incinerator.
You may also want to watch:
I've kept abreast of developments on this story and I know my successor, Simon Archer, along with Lib Dem prospective MP Paul Zukowskyj, have been continuously campaigning about this issue ever since.
I fail to see how a campaign that has been running for over 18 months can in any way be considered 'sudden'.
- 1 Hatfield curry house is hot stuff after being named nation’s best
- 2 Aldi eyeing new Hertfordshire store locations
- 3 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 4 Woman verbally abused and threatened at petrol station
- 5 Welwyn Garden City murder-suicide: Grief-stricken family release statement
- 6 Congratulations! See Sir Cliff Richard's The Great 80 Tour live in cinemas
- 7 Letchworth paedophile jailed for sexual activity with a child
- 8 7 haunted locations that will give you a Halloween fright
- 9 Six-year-old to raise money for Afghan refugees with readathon
- 10 A giant of a show is coming to Welwyn Garden City as Campus West panto returns with Jack & the Beanstalk
I would suggest that in future, the Conservative county councillor checks the website of your esteemed publication, where a great number of past articles and discussions on the issue can be found. Over seven pages, with multiple articles on each page, dating back to the start of 2008.
Residents of the area have a choice on June 4, either re-elect a Conservative county councillor and give the green light to the leadership to build this incinerator, or elect Simon Archer and be assured of some genuine and real opposition to this barmy plan.