We have campaigned against an incinerator for ages
SIR - I read with amazement the comments from the Conservative county councillor Stuart Pile in last week s Welwyn & Hatfield Times. Can he really believe his own words, that the Lib Dems have only recently said anything about the Conservative plans for
SIR - I read with amazement the comments from the Conservative county councillor Stuart Pile in last week's Welwyn & Hatfield Times.
Can he really believe his own words, that the Lib Dems have only recently said anything about the Conservative plans for an incinerator at New Barnfield?
I was the candidate for the Lib Dems in the by-election in Welham Green in January 2008. A keystone of my campaign then was this very issue.
The earliest press release we did was in November 2007 as I recall, which the Hatfield south councillor responded to by declaring he might have to vote for the incinerator.
You may also want to watch:
I've kept abreast of developments on this story and I know my successor, Simon Archer, along with Lib Dem prospective MP Paul Zukowskyj, have been continuously campaigning about this issue ever since.
I fail to see how a campaign that has been running for over 18 months can in any way be considered 'sudden'.
- 1 'Confusion of legal status' sees public path fenced off
- 2 Drug dealer sentenced to more than five years in prison
- 3 Woman injured after attack by out of control dog
- 4 Local council elections: Don't know who to vote for? See what the candidates in your area have to say
- 5 Have you seen this wanted man?
- 6 'Much harder this time around' - Father of three fighting cancer for second time in two years
- 7 'We must act now' - villagers in renewed fight to save pub
- 8 Who are our Welwyn Hatfield candidates for Local Elections 2021?
- 9 Man found with head injuries following assault
- 10 Fundraiser bakes 100 cookies to support NHS and carers as part of Captain Tom challenge
I would suggest that in future, the Conservative county councillor checks the website of your esteemed publication, where a great number of past articles and discussions on the issue can be found. Over seven pages, with multiple articles on each page, dating back to the start of 2008.
Residents of the area have a choice on June 4, either re-elect a Conservative county councillor and give the green light to the leadership to build this incinerator, or elect Simon Archer and be assured of some genuine and real opposition to this barmy plan.