Villages treated badly over school placements
SIR – I would like to comment on your article regarding the parents of Knebworth children and the fiasco over the allocation of their secondary school places. This situation was totally predicable following the effective closure of Heathcote School to
SIR - I would like to comment on your article regarding the parents of Knebworth children and the fiasco over the allocation of their secondary school places.
This situation was totally predicable following the effective closure of Heathcote School to newcomers this year and the failure of the authority to provide more places at Barnwell.
As a Woolmer Green resident I successfully fought to get my daughter into Barnwell last year (Barnwell is also our nearest school despite us being out of priority area).
It is totally unacceptable that Knebworth /Datchworth /Woolmer Green children should be expected to travel past several other schools to the old town when there is a perfectly suitable school in south Stevenage.
You may also want to watch:
The local authority closed Heathcote School and decided numbers could be absorbed by other schools in Stevenage, but did not consider the villages to the south. As all schools continue to apply the existing county policy which ultimately allocates places to those living nearest the school, those of us for whom ALL schools are more than three miles will be at the bottom of the list for places.
This has been the way of things for at least the last six years when the last policy change occurred.
- 1 9 things you didn’t know about the making of Band of Brothers
- 2 When is Team GB cycling star Laura Kenny in action at Tokyo 2020 Olympics?
- 3 Do you remember when Grange Hill was filmed in Hatfield?
- 4 6 Oscar-winning movies filmed on location in Hertfordshire
- 5 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 6 Dangerous Welwyn Garden City domestic abuser who slashed ex-girlfriend's throat jailed
- 7 Welwyn Garden City named Hertfordshire’s sexiest place
- 8 New Sexy Beasts dating show for Netflix filmed in Hertfordshire
- 9 Man drowns in Stanborough Lakes
- 10 Safety check and risk assessment failings for hundreds of Welwyn Hatfield council houses
How much is it going to cost the authority to bus all these children to school so far away (which it is now obliged to do under its own rules)?
When is the authority going to start to take responsibility for the shoddy service it is providing to families in rural areas in this respect?
It is not good enough to state it is giving families their second or third choice of school in this case. We have to put three on the form, but for those of us whose nearest school is four or five miles away there really is no other sensible choice.
Knebworth children should be allocated to Barnwell. End of story!
Mrs S Roberts, Woolmer Green.