The price of war on Iraq
SIR – As we start taking stock of the year that is closing and most of us are worrying about the gross mismanagement of the country s finances, we should not forget the greatest crime of all – that reckless embroilment of this country in the incredibly
SIR - As we start taking stock of the year that is closing and most of us are worrying about the gross mismanagement of the country's finances, we should not forget the greatest crime of all - that reckless embroilment of this country in the incredibly stupid and costly Iraqi war.
We should not overlook its actual financial and political cost, of course, but neither should we ignore the cost in human lives as well as the wounded and those maimed for life.
Obviously, if we had not participated in this folly, for a start, the Treasury would be several billions of pounds better off and better able to cope with the current financial mess.
Between March 20, 2003 and December 11, 2008, 178 young men and women perished to serve politicians' illusions of grandeur!
You may also want to watch:
So, there it is. Nearly 200 families mourn their loved ones; thousands more struggle to help their wounded and maimed survive.
Do politicians realise the damage they have created?
- 1 9 things you didn’t know about the making of Band of Brothers
- 2 Do you remember when Grange Hill was filmed in Hatfield?
- 3 When is Team GB cycling star Laura Kenny in action at Tokyo 2020 Olympics?
- 4 Welwyn Garden City named Hertfordshire’s sexiest place
- 5 Dangerous Welwyn Garden City domestic abuser who slashed ex-girlfriend's throat jailed
- 6 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 7 Train services resume after earlier disruption at Royston
- 8 Safety check and risk assessment failings for hundreds of Welwyn Hatfield council houses
- 9 Council named wrong town planner as Garden City's principle creator
- 10 6 Oscar-winning movies filmed on location in Hertfordshire
Alexander Benakis, Northfield, Hatfield.