The downward spiral continues
SIR – Once again, Hatfield town centre, after YEARS of decline, reasons why, excuses and planning… the town , if you can call it such, is continuing to spiral downwards. Politics apart, regeneration and upkeep of Welwyn Hatfield should be the various de
SIR - Once again, Hatfield town centre, after YEARS of decline, reasons why, excuses and planning... the 'town', if you can call it such, is continuing to spiral downwards.
Politics apart, regeneration and upkeep of Welwyn Hatfield should be the various departments' priority to ensure our town is kept in good order and meets the needs of its residents.
Will Hatfield once again be subject to costs incurred IF shop holders sue, having been issued with closure notices? Remember the Galleria fiasco?
Unless well-known businesses are attracted to Hatfield, this town will always be 'second rate' to Welwyn, which seems to 'dictate' WHAT is allowed in this town.
You may also want to watch:
The huge rates we pay should provide us with a decent, attractive town centre with a good range of shops and facilities. We are known as Welwyn Hatfield so we each deserve the same.
Oh! to turn the clock-back to 1962, when Hatfield (New Town) and Old Hatfield were a delight to live in. Then the planners in their wisdom created pedestrian precincts ripping the heart out of the New Town and destroying the character of Old Hatfield. Then along came the university...
- 1 9 things you didn’t know about the making of Band of Brothers
- 2 When is Team GB cycling star Laura Kenny in action at Tokyo 2020 Olympics?
- 3 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 4 Dangerous Welwyn Garden City domestic abuser who slashed ex-girlfriend's throat jailed
- 5 Do you remember when Grange Hill was filmed in Hatfield?
- 6 From Hertfordshire to the Strictly dancefloor: 7 Strictly Come Dancing contestant from the county
- 7 Welwyn Garden City named Hertfordshire’s sexiest place
- 8 6 Oscar-winning movies filmed on location in Hertfordshire
- 9 New Sexy Beasts dating show for Netflix filmed in Hertfordshire
- 10 'This is history!' - 25 facts about the Oasis concerts at Knebworth Park 25 years ago
Should Hatfield town centre be demolished completely, as all major shopping is out-of-town (this town at least)? We could be an attractive Garden Town instead.
Do we NEED all the various councils if they cannot communicate, liaise and work together?
Why was councillor John Dean not briefed about the plan delay?
Keep politics out of decision making, work together. Local issues for local rate paying residents.
Pat Pike, Hatfield.
SIR - As a resident who was born and bred in Hatfield I am aghast at the postponement of the re-development of the town centre although not completely surprised.
It has been a long running saga controlled for too long from WGC.
I have always believed in the role that Hatfield Town Council can play in the administration of Hatfield. In the light of the postponement consideration must now be given to Hatfield seceding from WGC, and this can be achieved by enhancing the town council to district council status.
Many people in Hatfield would welcome this change.
Richard Griffiths, via email.
Sir - The plans for Hatfield town centre redevelopment have been shelved. This should not have happened after eight years.
Now it needs the government to step in and make for the £100m project. The matter should be raised in Parliament by our local MP Grant Shapps to salvage the situation.
I am one of the people in this town who had thought old buildings from the 1960s would go to be replaced by 21st century buildings.
Robert Thomas, Endymion Road, Hatfield.