The cost of puffin crossings
SIR – Anyone using Parkway in WGC recently will have seen the extensive work being undertaken where there were Pelican traffic lights at the Church Road junction. Why?, a number of people have asked me. The pelican is being changed to a puffin – a
SIR - Anyone using Parkway in WGC recently will have seen the extensive work being undertaken where there were Pelican traffic lights at the Church Road junction. Why?, a number of people have asked me.
The pelican is being changed to a puffin - a different bird, with a different set of lights. They will be like the ones near Waitrose, which I know are unpopular with many people.
What of the cost? Around �20,000 per set. Across Hertfordshire that is around �8 million to change them all, I am told.
I am yet to be convinced the new system is any better. They are supposed to detect whether people are actually waiting to cross, have already gone, or are still crossing, and adjust signals to drivers accordingly. That's the theory, but I have seen many 'errors' by the system.
So why is Herts Highways still carrying out this expensive work whose benefits are at best marginal? Well, surprise, surprise, it has been told to by the Government. So, on the one hand the Government sets targets for councils to save money, on the other it instructs them to spend. I can think of many ways of spending �8m more usefully than this and so, I expect, can readers.
- 1 New QEII Urgent Care Centre opening hours set to change
- 2 First business moves into Hatfield's new £45m High View development
- 3 Man injured while working in Hatfield Business Park
- 4 Potters Bar school in top 10 of The Sunday Times Schools Guide 2022
- 5 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 6 Where can you get a walk-in booster in Welwyn Hatfield this week?
- 7 Suspected stabbing in Welwyn Garden City
- 8 "The older generation still knows how to have a good time"
- 9 County lines drug runners jailed after undercover police sting
- 10 Omicron variant: Confirmed case in Hertfordshire says health boss Jim McManus
Lib Dem county councillor.