The cost of puffin crossings
SIR – Anyone using Parkway in WGC recently will have seen the extensive work being undertaken where there were Pelican traffic lights at the Church Road junction. Why?, a number of people have asked me. The pelican is being changed to a puffin – a
SIR - Anyone using Parkway in WGC recently will have seen the extensive work being undertaken where there were Pelican traffic lights at the Church Road junction. Why?, a number of people have asked me.
The pelican is being changed to a puffin - a different bird, with a different set of lights. They will be like the ones near Waitrose, which I know are unpopular with many people.
What of the cost? Around �20,000 per set. Across Hertfordshire that is around �8 million to change them all, I am told.
I am yet to be convinced the new system is any better. They are supposed to detect whether people are actually waiting to cross, have already gone, or are still crossing, and adjust signals to drivers accordingly. That's the theory, but I have seen many 'errors' by the system.
You may also want to watch:
So why is Herts Highways still carrying out this expensive work whose benefits are at best marginal? Well, surprise, surprise, it has been told to by the Government. So, on the one hand the Government sets targets for councils to save money, on the other it instructs them to spend. I can think of many ways of spending �8m more usefully than this and so, I expect, can readers.
- 1 New welcome signs arrive at railway station
- 2 'We need to be heard and treated fairly' – dog groomers demand after not receiving COVID grant
- 3 Gallery: Snow gives Welwyn Hatfield residents much-needed fun in lockdown
- 4 Icy weather continues to suspend bin collections
- 5 Man in hospital after being trapped in car following A1(M) crash
- 6 Even more pics of fun in the snow in Welwyn Hatfield
- 7 More than 15 social housing homes open at £6.7 million development
- 8 Rapid community COVID-19 testing launches in Hertfordshire
- 9 Father reveals 'toll' his infertility took on his mental health while trying to have a baby
- 10 Fine issued to funeral director after ‘clear and blatant breach’ of coronavirus rules
Lib Dem county councillor.