Tesco speaks too soon
Sir – Tesco has evidently embarked on a huge PR campaign to try and give the impression that their controversial scheme for part of WGC town centre is a fait accompli, and hopes that by constantly talking about it as such, it will con the authorities and
Sir - Tesco has evidently embarked on a huge PR campaign to try and give the impression that their controversial scheme for part of WGC town centre is a fait accompli, and hopes that by constantly talking about it as such, it will con the authorities and public into rolling over and ceasing to object.
What is all this brave talk from Tesco of vowing to press ahead in the face of the recession with their "regeneration" plans?
To read reports of how they are "downplaying fears" that the plans were "under threat"of cutbacks and so forth, one would think that they had already been given the go-ahead.
That is not the case and the area is not scheduled for retail development (although the council has remained suspiciously quiet on that front).
You may also want to watch:
Nor has the WHT pointed that out lately, merely relaying Tesco's spin without comment. [The story related to news that Tesco had axed part of its development business and what, if any, would be the effect on its plans for WGC, no more, no less. For the record the WHT remains convinced that any major supermarket provision should remain in the current town centre footprint - editor].
WGC does not need a third supermarket in the centre, and certainly not a Tesco, since they have a huge one within two miles.
- 1 Congratulations! See Sir Cliff Richard's The Great 80 Tour live in cinemas
- 2 As Michael Keaton's Batman returns, Knebworth House features in first teaser for The Flash movie
- 3 Woman verbally abused and threatened at petrol station
- 4 Welwyn Garden City murder-suicide: Grief-stricken family release statement
- 5 How was womanising Hatfield policeman allowed to work promoting female safety?
- 6 Hatfield curry house is hot stuff after being named nation’s best
- 7 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 8 Banned driver jailed following high-speed police chase
- 9 Arrests made following stop and searches – including teenager with baton
- 10 Aldi eyeing new Hertfordshire store locations
If they would like to redesign their plans minus the retail element, I am sure there might be a more favourable response. After all, they would still make a fortune from any redevelopment project.
Or is it all just about retail empire-building and suppressing competition?
Roger Beale, Ayot St Peter.