Tesco has the financial clout
Sir – It s the economy, stupid was the slogan attributed to Bill Clinton s successful presidential election campaign. Perhaps a similar slogan; Its economics, stupid , could be a used to remind Welwyn Hatfield Council that if they wish to develop the
Sir - "It's the economy, stupid" was the slogan attributed to Bill Clinton's successful presidential election campaign. Perhaps a similar slogan; "Its economics, stupid", could be a used to remind Welwyn Hatfield Council that if they wish to develop the Shredded Wheat site with a number of public facilities, without charge to themselves, they must find a developer with sufficient means, ie one who can develop his part of the site profitably enough to provide subsidised public amenities.
Plausibly, Tesco, as one of the nation's most successful enterprises, is able to do this. In addition, it would provide more competition in the town's shopping centre and its presence would very likely attract shoppers to other shops.
Such a development would not infringe on the much-valued green spaces on the west side of the station.
This letter is a plea for the council not to commit the mistakes made in planning The Galleria site, where the most attractive financial bid provided by a reputable company was rejected in favour of a lesser bid tendered by a speculative organisation, the consequences of which eventually caused financial distress to our community.
You may also want to watch:
G. Boyfield, The Quadrangle, WGC.
- 1 9 things you didn’t know about the making of Band of Brothers
- 2 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 3 When is Team GB cycling star Laura Kenny in action at Tokyo 2020 Olympics?
- 4 Dangerous Welwyn Garden City domestic abuser who slashed ex-girlfriend's throat jailed
- 5 From Hertfordshire to the Strictly dancefloor: 7 Strictly Come Dancing contestant from the county
- 6 Do you remember when Grange Hill was filmed in Hatfield?
- 7 6 Oscar-winning movies filmed on location in Hertfordshire
- 8 Welwyn Garden City named Hertfordshire’s sexiest place
- 9 'This is history!' - 25 facts about the Oasis concerts at Knebworth Park 25 years ago
- 10 New Sexy Beasts dating show for Netflix filmed in Hertfordshire