Tesco has the financial clout
Sir – It s the economy, stupid was the slogan attributed to Bill Clinton s successful presidential election campaign. Perhaps a similar slogan; Its economics, stupid , could be a used to remind Welwyn Hatfield Council that if they wish to develop the
Sir - "It's the economy, stupid" was the slogan attributed to Bill Clinton's successful presidential election campaign. Perhaps a similar slogan; "Its economics, stupid", could be a used to remind Welwyn Hatfield Council that if they wish to develop the Shredded Wheat site with a number of public facilities, without charge to themselves, they must find a developer with sufficient means, ie one who can develop his part of the site profitably enough to provide subsidised public amenities.
Plausibly, Tesco, as one of the nation's most successful enterprises, is able to do this. In addition, it would provide more competition in the town's shopping centre and its presence would very likely attract shoppers to other shops.
Such a development would not infringe on the much-valued green spaces on the west side of the station.
This letter is a plea for the council not to commit the mistakes made in planning The Galleria site, where the most attractive financial bid provided by a reputable company was rejected in favour of a lesser bid tendered by a speculative organisation, the consequences of which eventually caused financial distress to our community.
You may also want to watch:
G. Boyfield, The Quadrangle, WGC.
- 1 Is Hertfordshire set to become the new British Hollywood?
- 2 Taxi driver found guilty of driving offences
- 3 Enjoy the park but treat it with the respect it deserves, says manager
- 4 Is the era of face-to-face GP appointments over in Hertfordshire?
- 5 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 6 Driving scheme for 10 to 17 year olds launches in Hatfield
- 7 Travel blogger quarantined in Canada after returning home for funeral
- 8 Pregnant woman jailed for more than two years for killing cyclist
- 9 ‘I want to inspire people’ - fundraiser set for sky dive in memory of mother
- 10 Galleria launches 'We Love Local' venture for businesses