Stop this pointless shooting
SIR – October 1 is the start of the pheasant shooting season. If you visit the countryside around Welwyn Hatfield over the next four months you may well get caught behind a line of Range Rovers filled with men dressed for a day out shooting. These men
SIR - October 1 is the start of the pheasant shooting season.
If you visit the countryside around Welwyn Hatfield over the next four months you may well get caught behind a line of Range Rovers filled with men dressed for a day out shooting.
These men will have paid hundreds of pounds, up to £1,000, to spend a day shooting innocent, rather stupid and beautiful birds out of the sky.
Pheasants are not very keen on flying, but will have taken to the air because 'beaters', men with sticks, frighten them off the ground so they fly up and are shot down by men with guns ready and waiting for them.
Over 40 million pheasants and partridges are bred for shooting each year in the UK.
Most of their bodies will be dumped.
- 1 Hertfordshire zoo Paradise Wildlife Park to temporarily close to the public in January
- 2 Man in stable condition following Hatfield stabbing
- 3 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 4 Here's what we know so far about the new Covid variant
- 5 Concerns raised over structural integrity of Shredded Wheat factory building
- 6 15 adorable rescue pets in Hertfordshire looking for loving new homes this Christmas
- 7 How Hertfordshire’s coronavirus figures compare to last year's lockdown
- 8 Sir Elton John to play two Hertfordshire shows at Watford FC's Vicarage Road ground in 2022
- 9 Fire at University of Hertfordshire destroys kitchen
- 10 Motorcyclist "seriously" injured after car crash in Welwyn Garden City
Less than 10 per cent will be used for food. What a terrible, pointless and wasteful slaughter.
And this goes on every year. Birds bred for the amusement of rich businessmen.
I suggest that they pick on someone their own size - or try clay pigeon shooting.
If you agree that this cruel sport should be banned then contact your local MP, Grant Shapps.
Ayot St Peter.