Step aboard The Jolly Fisherman and win a super seaside steam trip!
Steam special The Jolly Fisherman is stopping at Potters Bar on its way to the famous Lincolnshire seaside resort of Skegness on Saturday, April 9, and you could be on board.
We have a pair of first class tickets worth �238 for The Jolly Fisherman as the prize in our Spring Steam competition.
Thanks to The Railway Touring Company, our winner and guest will board the vintage carriages of The Jolly Fisherman at Potters Bar at around 09.00 or Stevenage at around 09.30 then sit back as the train heads north, hauled by an historic Britannia class Pacific steam locomotive.
This steam day tour will recapture the magic of rail travel in days gone by, says the heritage rail operator. Skegness first rose to fame as a result of a, now classic, 1908 railway poster showing a jolly fisherman with the slogan ‘Skegness is SO Bracing’. In the following years thousands of holidaymakers used the railways to make their way to this typical British seaside resort.
Over one hundred years later, today’s travellers will enjoy a nostalgic day out with a choice of stopping at Wainfleet in Lincolnshire to visit Bateman’s Brewery, one of the country’s oldest family breweries based on an old windmill overlooking the River Steeping, or staying on board for the coast to enjoy the attractions of Skegness with its clock tower, seal sanctuary, pier and vast sandy beach.
You may also want to watch:
During the day our competition winner and their guest will enjoy morning coffee and pastries and tea and biscuits in the afternoon served at their first class seats on board.
Tickets for The Jolly Fisherman are available from The Railway Touring Company. Fares include standard �85 (family �215), first class �119 (family �300). For a really special treat choose the premier dining option for �199 (family �590), including a full English breakfast, light lunch and four course dinner silver served at your seats on board. Why not book your tickets now by telephoning the Railway Touring Company on 01553 661500 and quote the booking code ZYB, or you can book them online at www.railwaytouring.co.uk
- 1 Planning application submitted for 173-space car park and mobile café at park
- 2 Preparation works under way for Stonehills revamp
- 3 Man suffers fractured skull and bleed on the brain after pub assault
- 4 What to do if you see these hazardous caterpillars in a park
- 5 Delight for performing arts school as song hits number one in iTunes classical charts
- 6 Mum's proud of soldier son's guard of honour role at Prince Philip's funeral
- 7 'These heroes deserve a proper pay rise' - Demonstration of support for NHS workers to be held outside New QEII
- 8 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 9 Rail passengers warned of three-day closure at London King's Cross station
- 10 Pregnant woman jailed for more than two years for killing cyclist
For your chance to win our great prize, then all you have to do is answer the following question:
To which Lincolnshire resort is The Jolly Fisherman heading on Saturday, 9th April?
The competition closes on March 14. The winner will be chosen at random from all the correct entries received before this date. There is no cash alternative. The editor’s decision is final. No correspondence will be entered into. The winner may only take the journey specified on April 9 and the prize is not transferable. Travel to and from the departing station is not included as part of the prize. The Railway Touring Company’s conditions of booking and travel apply.